View Single Post
Old 17-Sep-2004, 21:14
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
Quote:
Are you speaking from personal experience here, 'cos in every interview I've read with him he comes across as a total sprat...

yep, I have met him twice, and have to say out of all of the GP/WSBK "stars" that I have met he is the one that surprised me. Troy Bayliss is also great, he loves to talk bikes and racing and is genuinely pleased if you know something of his racing. Ruben is a really laid back, and just seems to put in that extra bit of nice-ness. A lot of them get a bit fazed with a crowd of faces that they have never met before, - you should see max Biaggi's face, - rabbit caught in the headlights would be descriptive. Ruben just takes it all in, does not come across as wanting to get away, he has time to chat; when I asked him to sign my sons tee shirt he asked his name, his age, and then off his own back wrote a note to my son on a photograph, spoke about how his dad got him into racing, how important it is to start early and so on. The year before he was with us in the Brands paddock, he made a point of saying goodbye as he was off to his hotel and then outside a load of kids were hanging around on their BMX bikes, he stopped and spoke to every one of them, he signed everything asked of him, including this kids tee shirt, - I bet his mum killed him wheb he got home!!