View Single Post
Old 31-Aug-2009, 21:37
Bevel Head
Bikes: 998s bostrom rep, yamaha r7, yamaha r1sp.

Mood: sustained at the mo
Cam Belt snap after 42 miles from new belts fitted

Just bought a ben Bostrom 998s with 2k miles on her, the belts had been changed 42 miles ago and the vertical belt shredded itself, thus causing damage (expensive damage) bent inlet valves, valve guides split, possible bentpiston skirt.

Hi had a interesting conversation from the doctor of dukes ducati john and he told me what had happened, the belt changer a very big ducati dealer, had loosened thebelt tensioners to adjust them, and there is a stepped washer in the back of the pully that sits inside the bearing had dropped out, they had tigtened the pully back up and sent it on its way. the problemof this is the pully then dosent sit square and the belt then tracks off line and rubs on the other pully which has sharp edges and shredded it. this was on the vertical barrel, i checked the other pullys by putting a steel rule over it and this is the same, the belt on the horizontal is shreaded to but luckily has not snapped.

The problem i have the belts were changed last year and the bike has not been used, just started up once a month and warmed up. so no come back.

Please all be warned of this. This is going to cost £600-£1000 in parts plus labour. a very expensive weekend.