View Single Post
Old 21-Nov-2005, 21:54
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Hmm, I've tried the Conti but 'm not sure my opinion is fair really. Fitted them to my Multi, did 1000 miles around Scotland with missus on back then wrote the multi off when i got home when I lost the rear exiting a roundabout. Now, i can't blame the tyre for certain but it was a road i know well, on a bike which has 40 BHP less than my 999 and i was used to "making progress" on the multi. I don't know what happened, a sharp bang on the head means i cant recall anything from that day but my mate following said rear tye let go very quickly shortly followed by front, he said i wasnt going quick, just steady away, no knee out stupid angle of lean or stupid mistakes. All i can think is that i went over onto an edge of tyre which had not been scrubbed because i 'd been taking it easy with missus on back or i had some scottoiler lube on that edge, its hard to imagine it was just a tyre letting go without a reason.

The mechanics who looked at bike afterwards noticed that the front was grooved where it had been trying to hook back up but hadn't quite made it, they said there was a small lightly used strip on edge of rear tyre.

I'll be sticking to Pilot Powers and Scorpions on the 999 and strada from now on.