View Single Post
Old 25-Mar-2004, 21:14
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
If Only I had The Choice

Guys n Gals
Reading all the "posts" made me smile because here in Switzerland we do not have a choice. We cannot make the plate ourselves - neither can the garage/dealer. And you do not have a choice of selecting your own number or buying a so called "personal" registration.

It goes like this: the vehicle registration office (one in each of the 26 Kantones that make up the Swiss Federation) issues you with your number plate. A shinny reflective alu job inc hologram, the swiss flag and the flag of the Kantone. Then they send you a large bill for the said plate.

Now if you are silly enough to move from one Kantone to another then you have to surrender your old plate (you'll be charge a recycling fee) and buy your new one (yes the number will be different) so you wiull have to notify your insurance company who may well increase the premium depending on where you are now living (if your lucky they may and do reduce it).

Finally failure to do any of the above or modify the plate in any way will result in a very very heavy fine.

Postscript - you can hand in your plate if you take the bike off the road in winter and they'll give you a rebate (so will the insurance company) - but remember you will have to go and stand in-line for your new plate etc etc when the sun shines again and you want to get out on the bike. So most folk don't go for the rebate scheme.

So have fun with your plates - I cann't :