View Single Post
Old 13-May-2006, 07:57
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by twpd
Quote:
Originally posted by JonB
I wonder whether the 749 is fast enough though, all the journos repeatedly say that it is no match for the Jap 600's

That is so much bollox. See TWO magazine for a sensible review of the 749. The 749 has so much more grunt and torque than a jap 600 that is is easier to ride fast - overtakes are a cinch and you can maintain very high speeds with little effot.

My 80bhp 800ss has no trouble at all staying with any of my Jap riding mates because it has shed loads of grunt right where you need it. It only ever starts to feel a bit pushed on the very fastest roads with lots of long straights - up to 120mph it stays with most things. People who say they need more on the road really do talk out of their backsides.

I feel sorry for Ducati at times. The other week MCN slated the 749 saying it was slow blah...blah..blah. But IIRC the performance figures were only marginally behind the 4's. So marginally behind you would never notice, especially on the road. I mean...tell me who can really detect the difference between something delivering 103bhp and something delivering 107-110 when so many people can't tell the difference between 33psi or 36 psi in their tyres and when so many aren't really all that good at riding. The 749 probably feels a bit slower simply because it doesn't have to be screamed through the box to extract the performance.

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by twpd]

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by twpd]

I agree. I have a 2006 ZX 6R as well as a 749 and when I look down at the clocks of the 749 I am amazed at what speed I am doing,it may feel slower because it doesnt have the top end rush of an IL4, but its not.

The TWO review is an excellent read and the most accurate.

I have had a couple of warranty claims for a new shock, which i was allowed to upgrade to Ohlins, and also a couple of relays. The bike has never let me down, always started. I have made a couple of comments to my local kawasaki dealer about warranty claims and they are not interested. Ducati do it much more readily. Would def buy another Ducati, doubt I would buy another Kwak

[Edited on 13-5-2006 by 749er]