View Single Post
Old 24-Dec-2005, 02:42
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
This is an interesting point I've been going over in my head. Those of us on here with a fair bit of experience (not me) will be smiling at us as they've been down this road before I'm sure but ...

I can run comfortably in the fast group at pretty much any circuit on a 620 monster on standard diablo's. I'm going to Jerez for a few days at the end of Jan and I'm taking the 998R. It is currently fitted with rennsports that have a few day's under their belt and I'm going to try a set of pirelli slicks out there and see how I get on. I'll put them on after I get to know the track and the rennsports are shagged.

My understanding, from questioning racers etc on this, is that the 17 inch slicks will give a bit more grip, allowing more lean, earlier throttle opening, braking later and leaned over etc ... but lasting longer than treaded tyres and giving you a second or so a lap. 16.5 inch slicks will give you an additional 2 seconds a lap over and above that. Obviously there's a lot more expense in going down this road so I'm not, I'll run the 17 inch versions and see how I get on

So I'll let you know what happens.

Anyone got any laptimes from their trip to Jerez?