View Single Post
Old 19-Jan-2012, 05:47
Bikes: all ducatis except for one prewar Beemer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E
I found that MWC were recommended on the Caswells website as an approved user/provider of their tank liner product. I have read that Caswells has been used by Ducati owners in the USA but perhaps I need to read up more before selecting a lining product. A rock hard, glass like liner (like Caswells) doesn't quite fit with a tank that can expand and contract. Perhaps sealing the inside will stop the tank changing size?

Epoxy sealers do not cure "rock hard" they actually remain somewhat flexible and the layer is very thin.

The only time I would be concerned about the flexibility vs the tank would be in a crash situation where the tank surface could change drastically. I'd assume failure of the liner in that situation. The good news is that the same procedure can be re-done if the liner develops a split or crack, and coated over. Epoxy is an adhesive and will stick to itself without much issue. You would just need to evaluate the damage and might find a tank replacement is warranted anyhow.

Quote:
After what has happened in the states I can't imagine we will fair any better here in the UK. Not good PR for Ducati. We really need a permanent fix for this problem.

I don't know your laws, here the lawsuit could have progressed to a better solution but as you might imagine, the attorneys running it aren't really interested in a solution, they just want to get paid.