View Single Post
Old 04-Feb-2006, 10:48
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
For those who either a/ can't be bothered or b/ don't understand Shazzam's posting let me make it very simple.
The higher the octain rating the SLOWER the fuel burns-high octain fuel is a waste of time unless you have the compression to make use of it-in fact it will give you lower performance since it won't burn quickly enough. AK's top fueller would be using horrendous compression ratio's hence the need for high octain fuel. My TZ runs on Avgas-but it uses a 16:1 compression ratio............enough said?
Also as has been pointed out Avgas/race fuel/additives etc are specifically excluded from the rules-as long as you can buy it in a standard petrol station-and it's unleaded-that's fine. I put the last bit about being unleaded in since you are not able to buy leaded fuel, or even lead replacement petrol any more apart from a a very few select stations which keep it for 'historic vehicles'.
So avgas will give you no advantage unless you are running really high compression-but then if you were doing that you'd be outside of the rules anyway-catch 22!

John