View Single Post
Old 21-Dec-2005, 22:35

Quote:
Originally posted by TP
I don't post this to be antagonistic but I think you've only gone half way in your rule changes. I know you've allowed a power commander to be fitted to get around the fact that you can't change the internally stored maps on the 800SS ECU. But, why did you stop at allowing replacement ECU's to get around the clock, ECU and red key anti-theft measure that Ducati has built in? A simple option is to replace the ECU with the FIM version but you don't allow it, this will enable the bike to be run without the original clocks etc.

Do you think that this gives a measurable advantage over just adding a power commander?

The reason we didn't allow the replacement of the ECU was that after discussion with a number of people, including Ducati experts such as Geoff Baines, the feeling was that it would make policing the series very difficult.

Most ECU replacements, including just changing the EPROM on some of the earlier bikes, allow the ignition advance to be altered. At least if we restrict everyone to standard ECUs then we can keep track of what people are doing and create a fair series for more people.

The rules for the series continue to evolve and had we had such feedback at some point during the last year when we changed the rules to specifically allow larger air cooled motors, done with Ducati in mind, we could have had more time to investigate the pros and cons of such a suggestion.

Surely the majority of riders have no trouble keeping their red keys to hand so don't have any problems with using the stock ECU. I appreciate that Nigel is a special case but in most circumstances I don't see it as being a problem.