View Single Post
Old 04-Jun-2005, 11:27
Bikes: 1098S, 996SPS, CBR1000RR (for when it rains!)

Calling all suspension experts

After two years of trying to get the rear suspension set up on my 996sps I am about to give up. Is there anyone who knows exactly what they are talking about when it comes to suspension who can help me?

My problem is this:

I weigh about 8 1/2 stone or 62kg approx. I have already changed the spring rate to one level below standard to 15/62. This on the ohlins chart would relate to a rider weight of 65-70 kgs, my presumed weight with gear. However the rear ride is still hard with the dreaded 'kidney shakes'. The ohlins unit on the bike isn't the original with a code of DU8440 which doesn't match anything I've read so far. I am considering going down a further spring rate because with the statis sag set up correctly I get hardly any change when i get on or off the bike ( free sag = 90% rider sag). However I have been told before that dukes need a strong spring to resist the torque action from the motor. I use the bike for road and track use.

One feeling I get while riding is that the rear end often feels like it is twisting, could this mean more or less rebound?

Do i have the correct shock with correct damping rates? and do I have the correct spring for my weight?

thanks
Bryan