View Single Post
Old 03-Aug-2005, 18:14

More annoying questions

Ok gents. Here’s an update on the sniffing around for a 748.

Ideally I’d like 200ish 748S with the dark frame and funky Marchesini. Well that’s what I’ve set my heart on. Is it true that the Marchesini came as standard after 1999? And is the only difference between the standard E and S that the S has the uprated front suspension, adjustable head (plate) and 5 spoke wheel from 1999 onwards?

Anyway, Italy shuts down during August as everyone buggers off on holiday. But in September some is selling a 748 (pretty sure it’s an E) with Termignoni.

Here are the vitals:

- 2000 model
- 23,000km on the clock
- Did the first check up with Ducati. The others he had done by a friend who works for Ducati Corse in Bologna (he also works for Ducati – tracked do you think? Looks mint however).
- He has admitted that it has been dropped (from silly slow speed) but has been fixed and is perfect.
- Needs new chain + pinion (is that expensive? I'm counting on 150 sterling)

Wa da ya think?

Will these little bikes handle a few hard track days a year ok or do they get temperamental? Oh, and has anyone had an “Ever Red” guarantee on a 2nd hand bike before, any good?

Finally, I get the feeling that perhaps people would rather take their bike to a trusted mechanic rather than an official Ducati dealer. I know this is a general question, but are the dealer generally competent and decent or are they just out to make a profit and see Ducati owners as rich kids and should be punished accordingly…?

PS: Thanks again for all previous help. It is and was thoroughly appreciated.