View Single Post
Old 26-Dec-2005, 16:24
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
I ran slicks on the 996R last year for a while - I went with the Pirellis SC compounds, so I could do a direct comparison with the Supercorsa compounds.

I ran SC1 front and SC2 rear - wear rate was the same as the Supercorsas etc etc....

The biggest bonus for me (and knowing that I can't ride to anywhere the capabilities of the bike) - was the increase in confidence. Just having slicks fitted made me ride more aggresively and confidently - there must be more grip - right?

The therory said yes, but it gave me a lot of confidence - and what price confidence? Slicks are no more expensive than SCsThe only downside with slicks is the apparent lack of grip in the wet, but again a theory here is that unless there are puddles of rain on the track, a slick will actually have a larger surface area in contact with the tarck (no groves) and therefore offer more grip. (provided that it can push all the water away).

So - if you've a dedicated track bike - or spare wheels - go for it!!! They're greeeeeeaaaaaatttt !!!

Tim