View Single Post
Old 20-Jun-2005, 15:13

seats

Quote:
Originally posted by nathanTX
I have a carbon fiber one arriving from Casoli within the next week. I'll let you know how it turns out and post a pic or two. Very reasonably priced here in the states, too. Well, reasonable when compared to the stock piece. I'm getting full carbon fiber painted to my specifications for less than the stock plastic item.
Casoli carbon is not always carbon, better termed composite, yes Casoli carbon has a very good gel-coat, but hold it up to the light ,their swingarm guards are one thickness of carbon and also contain glassfibre so as far as protection they are useless, DP items you can frequently see the carbon coming through the gel-coat (which lets water in) and so really needs resealing before you get wax etc on it.However casoli carbon looks to be mostly wet layup:-- looks good but frequently little carbon plenty of glassfibre included and to hide the fibreglass they paint the reverse side black!I have casoli tank protectors,which I used,bellypans which I sent back along with the swingarm guard protectors,as both items had more fibreglass than carbon in them.Make sure carbon is made by the prepreg , vacume bagged, and and some times autoclaved system,which produces the lightest, strongest ,most abrasion resistant motorcycle parts,ducati race bikes use MS production,Illumberger, are in my mind the best(use ducati weave so it matches stock parts) hightech,and carbon dream would be the best made and finished;-but use different cloth and their product line is getting smaller with all 748 / 998 parts so you may not be able to get matching sets anymore.CASOLI LOOKS GOOD BUT THEIR PRICES FOR THINGS LIKE BRAKE LEVERS AND FILLER PLUGS ARE BULLSHIT AND THEIR CARBON DESCRIPTION COULD POSSIBLY FALL FOWL OF THE 'TRADE DESCPRIPTIONS ACT"I dont mean to offend anybody I am only trying to share what i have found to stop people getting less than they pay for. BREAKOUT