View Single Post
Old 11-Nov-2006, 22:44
500SD

Hi guys

As a matter of interest, here's a copy of an e-mail I've just received from Maxton after having them quote me for a suspension rebuild on my 888SP. It's got Ohlins front and rear. All-in, it's going to cost me around £500.

DUCATI 888 SP4

FRONT:

"The forks are Ohlins , and they give a very hard ride. The damping and springing are too hard and need to be modified. We do a fork conversion that revalves the compression damping and rebound damping (we reduce the compression damping and increase the rebound damping) We also use a different fork spring, the final choice is made when we know what the bike is used for (road or race) and the riders weight. Cost £250 plus VAT, and carriage. The seals generally are very prone to leaking, and because we can only use original Ohlins seals (there is no cheap replacement ) the cost of a new pair of seals is £46 plus VAT".

REAR:

"The rear is an Ohlins. It is very similar to the front in that the springing and compression damping is too hard. Just changing the spring hardly makes a difference, particularly at speed. We revalve the compression inside the unit and use a softer spring, the final choice of spring is dependent on the use of the bike and the riders weight. The cost of revalving the unit and changing the spring is £130 plus VAT and carriage.

We make a replacement shock a Maxton high pressure gas shock costing £405 plus VAT or £490 plus VAT with a remote".