View Single Post
Old 08-Mar-2006, 20:07
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Hmmm this is an area i am well versed in with 2 failures of the same in 3 years and 20k miles.
Firstly i put money on the rectifier being toast.
Secondly, the 2 wires that run across the motor between the gene and rectifier i also put money on are brown and brittle
Thirdly i also bet the sub loom near the rectifier is also not exactly Y reg if you catch my drift.

The sub loom is cheap drom ducati / nelly etc etc, around 30 quid if i remember last time i bought one

The 2 wires from the gene, best way to do this is to remove the gene and get tested, and then upgrade the wiring from the gene itself with a heavier cable, or at least 1 more length of the same.

Snip the bullets off between, and either use a high quality connector block which is not only tight (loose fittings increase heat and cause failure) but also capable of handling extra current draw, and same on the new sub loom. or better still solder them together.

I ride all the time with my lights on, and i could be wrong here but little things like lower wattage indicators, and LED tail lights will help matters just a tad and could make all the difference.