View Single Post
Old 30-Mar-2005, 00:50
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally posted by khu996
The clutch? FFS...its only done 2100 miles and I havent abused it (that much!!), surely it can't be time for a new clutch?

749er, what do you mean when you say they need to be treated?

Spoke to Ducati South London.

The guy said they removing the glazing from the clutch plates, then reassemble. An hours work at a cost of about £60. new clutch is £160 fitted.

I thought I was taking care of mine too, but apparently we should be pulling away with only about 1200rpm and slowly easing out the clutch. Not giving it 2500-3000rpm, letting the clutch out quickly to the bite then rolling on the throttle, and easing the clutch out more, which is what I do quite a bit though not always. Cant help but feel that the clutch is a bit of a con as when I first got the bike from new, it kept cutting out when pulling away, so minimum rpm when joining a roundabout was not an option as far as I was concerned.

Apparently using to many revs, eg more than 1500, at take off does them in quite quickly. Was advised that you can do it now and then but not all the time as you can with a jap bike with a wet clutch.

Have not noticed my clutch slipping yet only the noise when taking off with more than 2000rpm, lower engne speeds its quiet