View Single Post
Old 28-Jan-2005, 16:47
Big Twin
Bikes: KTM Arsey Ocho

Mood: retiring
Right I have ridden both....And made a decision!!!!!
749S

I rode the 999 first....Oh my god, right hand twist and "thankyou very much"....whatever gear you chose and "thank you very much"....incredible!
It felt really powerfull, more so than I have had the plesure of experiencing. I won't lie I was ****ting myself.
Then on to the 749S...an hour in between as I needed to go to a different dealer.
I actually rode a standard Bip, eitherway this bike felt much more involving a ride, I could handle the power (relativiley speaking) a lot better and it felt smaller and easier to turn in etc (I know that it is only the back wheel that is bigger on the 999). Admittedly though there were occasions when the bike didn't pull as the 999 due to poor gear selection but that is down to my riding.

I made my descision based on:
Insurance...much more favourable on the 749
Looks...pure vanity but I like the look of the 749Smono and to get the offered 999 to have a mono seat would be out of budget.
Ridability.. I have only had my license for 6 months or so and both bikes supercede my ability, however the 749 will keep my eye in and make me think about gear selection and revs, whereas the 999 will perhaps encourage me to get a little lazy. I have no doubt that in time I'll be saying "why didn't I get the 999 as I need (read want) the power", but for now I think the 999 is too much of a bike for me and I need to ride the bike that is going to "compiment" my skill and not just terrify me.

Thanks for all your advice....you can gaurantee that I'll be along soon with more issues.