View Single Post
Old 22-Dec-2005, 02:01
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by Mike Edwards
The reason we didn't allow the replacement of the ECU was that after discussion with a number of people, including Ducati experts such as Geoff Baines, the feeling was that it would make policing the series very difficult.

Most ECU replacements, including just changing the EPROM on some of the earlier bikes, allow the ignition advance to be altered. At least if we restrict everyone to standard ECUs then we can keep track of what people are doing and create a fair series for more people.

The rules for the series continue to evolve and had we had such feedback at some point during the last year when we changed the rules to specifically allow larger air cooled motors, done with Ducati in mind, we could have had more time to investigate the pros and cons of such a suggestion.

Surely the majority of riders have no trouble keeping their red keys to hand so don't have any problems with using the stock ECU. I appreciate that Nigel is a special case but in most circumstances I don't see it as being a problem.

It's not just about keeping the red keys to hand though, it's about not being able to remove the standard clocks to run another dash if you like. And if you didn't - it's about the cost of replacing the entire suite of key, clocks and ecu which is dramatically more expensive than adding the FIM ECU for example.

I know we both know that Nigel is a perfect case in point here - I'm not suggesting you make a rule specifically for him. I came across the same rule which prevented me from buying a crash damaged bike I could have bought cheaply to enter minitwins. Maybe you'll see this as a valid reason or not but ... if that rule had of allowed replacement ECU's I would have bought an 800SS a few months or so ago and would have been prepping a bike for minitwins right now. I know I'm not reason enough to change rules but I am a definite example of someone who is racing in a different class to minitwins because of this one rule.

I'm not whinging, I'm making a valid point.

Sorry Felix if you feel that it's me who is whinging a bit here ...

TP