View Single Post
Old 26-May-2009, 19:54
WSB Hero

Mood: www.cantbearsed.co.uk
Interesting, but not extensive testing and seemingly inconclusive (as you suggest each has benefits and weaknesses)?

If I understand your findings, the Maxxis is better going into a corner, (as the Diablo is overwhelmed?) but not as good coming out (as its more likely to slide?), the Maxxis will wear quicker (as is softer), but gives better feedback (as its softer). So can't last as long ? Can it?

It would be interesting to find out more, the trouble is that all DD riders know what Diablos will do, good or bad, better the devil etc..

The only real advantage that the Maxxis might have would be price, if this is compelling enough (ie significantly cheaper and lasts as long as the Diablo) then its worth further investgation, but if its a just a bit cheaper, then there would be reluctance to change I feel, as the tyre budget, when compared with the race fees, really isn't a make or break for most riders; ie 2 sets (for a season) for £320, which is a race weekend's fees. A saving of £70 or so here on Maxxis is not a lot across a whole season (but every little helps ) when riders will have to "learn" new tyres etc....

I don't know if you're working for Maxxis or linked or what, but you're running up against the grain here I think, as the Diablos work well, are reasonably priced, and most importantly are a known entity. They'd need to be a lot cheaper to break the mould I feel. We won't even open the insurance liability can of worms though !!!

Its interesting and there's been long, previous debates as to changing tyre types, warmers, wets, etc... I don't feel there's an appetite for change really. But good luck.

But lets have a few free sets and we can all go and test them!!! wahey!!!

Tim

Last edited by Rattler : 26-May-2009 at 19:59.