View Single Post
Old 30-Aug-2006, 13:15
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by TP
I reckon a light 1000SS would be a match, absolutely. It would be a hell of a lot more interesting too. Especially with a 1080 kit in it! It would make more torque than the 800/748 and make tuning a lot more flexible than the 800 engine. And if you started looking at reducing reciprocating mass weight ...

But, the 748 is a much cheaper option because of the price of buying a 1000SS (circa £5k, unless you luck out - I have no luck) and getting it tuned. There's more spares available for 748's and as variants of that shape have been racing for a number of years it's just a lot easier to keep it running etc. IMO.

I think you are right and for this reason no-one will bother with a 1000ss or an 800ss now. With the 748 you can get bang on the power:weight ratio without having to spend money basically - everybody else would be playing catch-up.

I can make my 800 competitive - at a cost. I wouldn't need to spend money on much tuning - as you intimate it would be reducing reciprocating weight which has many advantages...but it costs shed loads.