View Single Post
Old 14-May-2003, 21:37
Big Twin

Just thought I could add my 2p worth to this discussion.

The best improvement you can make to your braking is to get a Brembo or AP Radial Master Cylinder. This is what I run on my track bike and the feel you get from it is bloody awesome. I have ordered one for my road bike since.
Careful those do not have fittement for the light switch. You will need to get a special light switch banjo for them. Check Demon Tweaks they have them.

Many racers tend to run Cast Iron fully floating Brembos at the front with standard calipers and racing fluid / brainded or Kevlar lines. I like sintered pads, but I heard that organic ones are recommended on cast iron discs. That set-up should be more than enough for the road.

A great improvement at the caliper level are the 4 pads Brembo as well. They use the pads more evenly. I am looking at upgrading my road SPS with those if anybody has a set for sale.

I am running the PFM superbike kit on my track bike. This is 6 pots calipers with narrow fully floating discs. Although I have been warned a lot about PFM, them combined with the Brembo master is completely awesome. Now the biggest limit to my braking is definitely my balls (oups sorry). I could just leave it so late it is scary.
The PFM are also significantly lighter than the standard Brembo which reduce unsprung weight. To be honest I am not fast enought that this matters but if you are, you may think about that too.

Cheers
Philippe