View Single Post
Old 10-Jan-2006, 12:34
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

The standard battery for the 1994 - 2000 model years, Yuasa YB16AL-A2 (16 AH, 200 CCA, 11.5 lbs., 8.125" x 2.8125" x 6.4375") is actually a very good choice. It's only drawback is that it requires attention to acid level.

Here are two maintenance free alternatives I've found that have better specs:

Fiamm-GS F19-12B (19 AH, 200 CCA, 7.13" x 3" x 6.6")
Odyssey PC680MJ (19 AH, 280 CCA, 14.7 lbs., 7.3" x 3.1" x 6.7") (dry cell technology, my personal choice)

The principal advantage of using a larger capacity battery is to be able to restart repeatedly. When you don't ride long enough to recharge fully between restarts, a larger capacity battery is an advantage. A lower capacity battery will need to be trickle-charged more often and the chance of a deep discharge (that reduces battery life) is greater with small capacity ones. Further, a battery's capacity drops when it gets cold so when you ride in cool weather, a smaller capacity battery will have an even smaller reserve for starting at low temperatures.

Consider also, that the early pre-1998 bikes have an alternator with a lower charging current output, so they'll take longer to fully recharge the battery. A prolonged 30 amp charging current is one contributing factor to why Ducati voltage regulator/rectifiers and stator wires fail prematurely.

In 2001, the bikes were fited with a revised starter motor gear ratio that drew less current and made it possible to start the bike using a smaller battery. The starter gearing on the early bikes are not well suited to the smaller batteries.

All non-stock aftermarket batteries will require some modifications to the hold-down system for installation. The most common problems are that it doesn't fit the stock battery tray, the terminal posts are switched negative to positive, (just turn it around) a wrong battery post connection type, and the stock retaining clip has nowhere on the battery casing to hook onto.

For example, I have an Odyssey PC680MJ battery installed in a 916. The installation requires rigging a custom hold-down strap and shimming the battery higher in the stock battery holder. Still, the larger width dimension will cause it to touch the inside of the fairing and distort it slightly. It is also heavier than the stock battery but he advantage is that it is higher capacity than stock and dry-cells don't discharge in storage as readily.

BTW, I installed the Odyssey PC680MJ in May 2001. It's still going strong.

[Edited on 1-10-2006 by Shazaam!]