View Single Post
Old 12-Nov-2007, 10:25
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by swannymere
How are the MT going to differentiate between banter and personal attacks and who will decide? What if a particular person has an axe to grind with the alleged offender? I'm afraid to say it feels like the thin off the wedge.

Common sense?

In spite of views expressed to the contrary, I think that the webteam does a fine job of making sure that this board doesn't descend into the gutter and that they have performed an extremely difficult job, under a great deal of pressure, for many years. I think that it would be very easy to underate the common sense they have shown to date and the level of judgement required.

Again, it's not rocket science here. The webteam do not have the time to watch over every post and scrutinise it for barbed comment. The individuals involved in the banter, or the people watching the banter from the sidelines, will take a view on when this banter steps over the line. If somebody then feels they've been insulted or libelled, or a 3rd party believes that a post is too near the knuckle, they can press the red triangle to report the post to the webteam as it says in the above statement.

Then it's down to the webteam to decide whether real offence has been caused or whether the complainer is just over-sensitive and take the required action from there.

I don't think it's the thin end of the wedge at all. Other Ducati forums have the 'advantage' of being owned and run by individuals as far as I can see. In that case, he who pays for it calls the shots and there is no arguement. Here, where the site is a resource - paid for by the paid up members of the club then everyone is a stakeholder so debate about what goes and what doesn't is bound to be up for more discussion.

At the end of the day there is no such thing as complete freedom of speech anywhere in the world. People are always held accountable for what they say in some way shape or form and as far as I can see a few simple rules doesn't make for a draconian site

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^