View Single Post
Old 20-Apr-2009, 08:50
Montjuic
Bikes: MS1200S, T150V

Mood: Hopeful
Cool Calling 1198s Riders

The first 30 miles on the 1198s were nearly the last. If one thing really gets my goat it's a misfire. Imagine the scene: 17C blue sky and bone dry, smooth dual carriageway, 65mph, constant throttle. The darned thing was misfiring worse than a badly serviced 851 in an Algerian traffic jam. Then, just as my blood was coming to a boil, I noticed the briefest flash of the 1st LED on the DASH top: the DTC activation.

Never under any circumstance could anything have been "spinning-up". A quick stop in the next layby, changed DTC from Level 8 to 6. Hey Presto. Later, I turned it off completely and the engine was even smoother.

I would really like to understand what other 1198s riders are experiencing (the 1098R system is not the same). It is so intrusive on your bike or do I have a fault?

If you are thinking of moving from a 1098 to a 1198 believing the change is just 100cc, thing again. Lots of very small things add up to a hugely different feel (to me). Some better, some worse. The throttle response seems faster and torque seem immensely increased even at running-in speeds. Poised as you would be to wind on a breath of gas on corner entry, hit a bump on our 3rd world roads, and you'll be rewarded by a snarl of power pushing you towards doom. Of course I will get used to it, but first impressions (after a 1098s remember) is that it's an animal. Respect is due to those who can ride the R !