View Single Post
Old 11-Oct-2004, 17:17
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

Mood: Im Going to Italy soon!
Tim,

Neil & I worked these rules out on the basis that the 620 does have a significant advantage over the 583 to the tune of about 25% in power terms, mainly I think as it has a better head and injection.

In view of that we assumed that most people would like to try with a 620, but that they might not want the necessary commitment (£3k) to purchase one. As there is a large pool of 600 Monsters out there, that appear to be available from £1500 upwards, how could we get them on a level playing field. The perceived wisdom was to allow over bores, which should get them within 2-3bhp of each other.

My current view is that it would be better to be inclusive rather than exclusive and allow both engines, overbores on 583sfor those that want to and both types of bike (Monster & SS).

If the worst comes to the worst then we could always have 3 sections to the results :

1) 583 std

2) 674 overbores on 583s

3) 620 injected

That way as the years go by and as the 583s come to the end of their usefull life, there can be a gradual transition to the 620 engine for people, again they should be getting cheaper.

If we can keep people with 5hp of each other, by dynoing the bikes at a time the organsers see fit (but not announced to the competitors) to police the 70hp limit, then in all reality rider ability and weight is going to have a bigger impact than the type of bikes ridden.

Remember the aim here is to allow people to get into racing (which is inheritantly expensive) whilst controling the costs involved. Mainly you shouldn't be able to exercise ones cheque book and gain a signifant advantage over the guy who spends a lot of time sorting out his bike.

Chris