View Single Post
Old 03-Jun-2005, 00:29
Quickshifter

749R

I consider my self very lucky to have been loaned this bike by Ducati, I guess I hoped you might find my thoughts of use if you are considering such a bike.... then again you might not!

Ok, I don’t own one but I have gotten one to ride, a 749R.

First time out was this evening, 108 miles of mixed fortune as far as traffic goes but some well-chosen roads gave us a little time to get to know each other.

First impression was an uncomfortable seat but that all changes once the legs are up and you are under way, even a wide girth like mine settles nicely. The gearbox is as sweet as they come and foot positions for gears and brakes fall remarkably easy to hand and foot once you settle (I normally struggle to use the back brake). Twenty or so minutes into our honeymoon I found myself relaxing (and forgetting the cost) and the confidence starting to flow, for me it was the feeling and the sound that the bike was never working hard or asking me to, it’s narrow waist and flowing curves allows you to fit in the bike when you want to hustle and this little lady just begs to be hustled (flickability is superb).

When you reach good speed (and that happens remarkably easily for what is the equivalent to a 600 believe me) and start holding brakes into corners the front end feel is awesome (can’t wait to try it on the track) I have never ridden a bike where I swear I could feel the road on the front end like I could from this, it inspires you to tip in simply because you really can feel what is going on.

The clocks belong in the Euro fighter and I dread the replacement cost, however they do add a lot of style and touches like auto illumination when the light fades (tunnels etc) is cool, Finish is good and it never failed to initiate at least four comments and two conversations in my only thirty minute stop.

Moving around the bike is a doddle and the location points needed to find your body position are easy, foot position is nice although expect the usual numb throttle hand due to the forward position. (In fairness I have not ridden any thing that doesn’t create that after a while). Once I felt comfortable moving around the bike I found myself quickly searching for a large and not to busy roundabout, I was about to feel rather ashamed and immature at my behaviour. (Just replaced the nicked suit and the sliders are virginal, had to be done).

The finish and detail is lovely but when you look at all those goddies you do think “please God don’t let me lob it”, thing is, he can’t help you any more than Ducati already have, if this bike could talk she would say “hop aboard and I will hold your hand and be prepared for a sharp intake of breath”.

I loved it, I would like to take her for a second honeymoon…… to Jerez! Jammy Scots.

[Edited on 3-6-2005 by Quickshifter]