Thread: 748 Reliability
View Single Post
Old 01-Jul-2005, 12:14
500SD

Mood: Yellow!!
748 Reliability

I have recently bought a 748 Monoposto and I have to say its the best bike I've ever ridden and thats coming from previously owning a 2004 Yamaha R1.

I have always wanted a Ducati and my main concern was that of reliability.

I still have this concern but I have already now bought one anyway just because of how it made me feel.

What's everyones opinion on reliability of these bikes? I'm not a thrasher and never red line a bike, currently the highest I've taken the revs is between 8-9k.

I also always let a bike warm up properly without revving it as I have done with all my bikes, I don't consider revving or pulling away until on the 748 the temp is 100 Degrees F.

Currently the bikes mileage is 6900 and the year is 2001. Its in immaculate condition and I have been told it has had a full service.

What sort of problems may I expect and how can you tell when there is a problem?

For instance I have read about rocker problems? How can you tell if you have such a problem without looking?

What about cam belts?

I also notice a bit of clutch slip on pulling away, not so much that the revs go up but if I give it a bit too many revs I feel it slip under me (if that makes sense? a slight quick squeek).

Is that normal or something to bother about?

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions just always wanted one but nervous of problems.