View Single Post
Old 26-Dec-2005, 17:54
Big Twin

Quote:
[i]
I don't personally think anyone doing trackdays can use all the performance of Michelin power race/Metzeler racetecs etc so running slicks is a head thing...

for me thats abit like saying you dont need a 996r coz racers / quicker peeps can lap quicker than u on a 916 !!! for me it will still malke me quicker round eh? well actually no coz im more frightened of crashing it, but if i wasnt it would!!!

i really dont agree that is ALL in the head, of course confidence plays a big part, but if a tyre is better gives more grip then once your at a certan level, better trye will eqaul, either all or a mixture of better lap times/ more confidence/ less tricky moments,

i dont necessarily go to track days with a focus on improving my lap times, although through focusing on the track learning it better and improving techinique improved times would subsequently follow. yes i want to fast, but i dont really want to end up in the tyre wall again!!

How do the wear rates of slicks compare with road tyres.

i was running on sc1 front and sc2 rears last year. and if using the 996r would get through a rear in a day. a day and a half on the 916

is the compound choices for slicks so complex that id have to consider the track temerature as an important aspect of deciding what compound to go for.

just wondering if a comparable maybe slightly softer compound would last longer in slick format compared to a cut road tyre, as the magority of the wear appers to me to be at the edge of the cuts in the tread?? !!

i guess if i knew i wouldnt be asking though??