Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Feb-2005, 15:37
Bevel Head

Following on from Dibble\'s post regarding noise levels

I'm the mate asking question, that Dibble is being very helpful about.

I'd forgotten my log in for this place, it's been so long

I have a 748 with 45 mm termis on it. The dB limit at donny is, as discussed already 98, so I'm planning to try fitting the originals with chip.

The guy I bought the bike off did not know what an SSD was so was not taking precautions when handling the chip. I have no idea what condition it is in.

Do you know if it is possible to take the chip to a main dealer for diagnostic checking?

How much is a new one?

Could you lend me one, if mine IS corrupted?

Can I just try fitting everything back to the bike and hitting the go button, or would that be risky?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts, comments, advice, offers of free love, offers of a loan chip, mortgage advice, or any thoughts on the whitham speed freaks track day set up.

Cheers
Pops
xx
Old 20-Feb-2005, 17:03
BSB Star

Mood: Has change happened...must of missed it!
Why not just change the cans back to std, and do your t/day like that?
If your chip is for the open pipes then i suspect with std pipes itll at most run a bit rich! I did this on my 998s, no worries.

If it was the other way round ie std chip with open pipes then that would be potentially running it weak and therefor dangerous.

I have done a Whithams joobie...hes funny, but i thought imho, it was badly organised!
Old 20-Feb-2005, 17:10
Bevel Head

Quote:
Originally posted by andyb
Why not just change the cans back to std, and do your t/day like that?
If your chip is for the open pipes then i suspect with std pipes itll at most run a bit rich! I did this on my 998s, no worries.

If it was the other way round ie std chip with open pipes then that would be potentially running it weak and therefor dangerous.

I have done a Whithams joobie...hes funny, but i thought imho, it was badly organised!

not knowing exactly how many differences there are from standard chip to modded I wouldn't know whether it could be done or not.

last thing I'd want in the middle of an expensive track day is to develop a misfiring, couching or spluttering engine. You may well be right. I don't know.

It fired up ok just now, but whether it runs right, all the way through the range is unkown at the mo.
Old 20-Feb-2005, 17:19
Big Twin

new chips can be from £30 up to £150ish

The best, are Ultimap as they can be programmed with new maps for your bike

http://www.fuelinmoto.com.au/

If it's just open pipes, and your switching back to standard ones, use the original chip if you don't want to buy another.

I'd guess that a good dyno run would let you know if the chip worked or not.

For what it's worth, I run an Ultimap on my 748 that's setup for open pipes, different filters etc and have switched back to standard pipes when needed without changing anything - a little change in the power characteristics, but no misfires etc
Old 20-Feb-2005, 17:46
Ducati Corse

Mood: Tad more confident
I've done the same as Andyb both wth my 996R and a 748 without any notcable difference.

[Edited on 20-2-2005 by Jon]
Old 20-Feb-2005, 19:55
Ducati Corse

Eproms are very robust generally. You'd have to be very unlucky to have damaged it. Bear in mind that there is more to it that just changing the chip, you need to set the idle CO as well.