Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-May-2006, 18:19
Mille

Genuine Foggy Rep whats it worth???

Hello everyone,
I have the chance to buy a genuine Foggy rep thats in mint condition with all the original stuff including the invoice.The bike has done 3500 miles and will be serviced including belts and new tyres prior to purchase.The problem is whats a bike like this really worth and how much of a premium can it command over a standard 916sps?
Do you think it will become a collectors item in years to come?
So what do you think?

Bazzer
Old 26-May-2006, 23:40
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
At the risk of upsetting some people not as much as you may think. I'd take an ill educated guess at £8k (max), unless of course you find someone who MUST have a 'Foggy Rep'

Its a very hard bike to value as its not listed in any guides, but the value of exotica such as various SP's and SPS's that i've seen advertised recently indicates that prices are not that strong at present (and this comes from a tart who has bought such stuff for the bling factor) I'm a gullible tart.

I'm a Ducati freak but reckon a good RC30 is more collectable at present
Old 26-May-2006, 23:41
Ducati Corse

Is it Ride mag this month that says a genuine foggy rep is worth £15k?
Old 26-May-2006, 23:44

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG

indeed the prices where falling but have gone back up again its amazing what a few magazine articles can do for a bikes price
Old 26-May-2006, 23:48
Big Twin

Mood: I own a flame thrower
About 2 years ago my mate part chopped his foggy rep in and got £8,500. At the time dealers were advertising them at £12,000 ish.
Old 27-May-2006, 00:35
Big Twin

its the cliche " its only worth what someone will pay"

will it still be a collectors item in years to come ???
yes but no more than it is now, as by that i mean the market place is not going to be any bigger for a limited edition, actually smaller, but as for price price well if i waould say it will probably not decline, providing its a pedigree example , not beaten about. the more original the better. although i doubt if it wil increase in value very much if at all,

you have only got to look at other recent classics such as the rc30 and owo1, prices are fairly constant over the last 15 years,

in my opinion the differance is fggy rep has a mans name to it, the rc30 etc doesnt have as such, in terms of replica, this can be real factor in terms of resale in the future. command a premium over the sps? no not for me , but for some maybe. youve only got to find one buyer prepared to pay you asking price and all of a sudden its WORTH IT
Old 27-May-2006, 05:36
Big Twin

Mood: Enjoying Togdom !
i know of a 500 mile mint one that the owner cant get £9k for so i fear geordie might be about right
Butch
Old 27-May-2006, 07:50
500SD

The problem with the Foggy rep as an investment is that there are a zillion 916/996 model-type bikes out there. No matter how 'limited' a run it was part of, were I to put one in my garage I'd still see it as just another derivative of the type. Most collectors would look at it the same way I think.

If you're after an 'SP' Ducati as an investment, you'd be better off looking for a good 888. There's a mint low mileage SP4S in MCN this week. It's not cheap, but will only go up in value.

As to the values of RC30s.. Far from merely holding their price, they've risen FAST in the last few years. I've been after one for ages, and their prices are now through the roof. Only last week two were sold on eBay: one for £12,000, and the other for almost £11,000. (Take a look under 'completed listings'). One dealership in Lancashire has one currently on offer for £20,000!
Old 27-May-2006, 08:36
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Bazzer, unless you're a Foggy fan and you're into the rep bikes I'd steer clear.

If you want a limited edition bike in that shape with all the gucci bits then I'd suggest the 996R or 998R if you're into avoiding rocker issues ... or, if you simply love the Desmoquattro engine get the 996SPS.

They made more 998R's than the 996R by a couple of hundred - the 996R being the first testastretta engine and has the carbon side panels and belly pan. The 998R has the second generation testastretta engine in it which has the wider bore and shorter stroke to let it rev more and has a few other refinements as well. It has a bit more carbon in that the seat unit on a 998R is also carbon as well as the side panels and belly pan.

If you're purely after exclusivity I'd say buy a 996R. If you want the best bike ever built in that shape, and the highest spec - IMO you're looking for the 998R. It's the same engine as the current 999R as well, so lots of options if you wanted to do anything to it.

You can get a 999R cheaper than you can get a 998R too, what does that tell you

I love my 998R, it's a shame I may have to sell her in the coming month or so. Depends on a few things. ..
Old 27-May-2006, 09:19
500SD

Mood: Firing on all 4 !!
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG

And guess who dropped his RC30 a couple of weeks back ??
well i say dropped i mean, i though the side stand was down when parking it back at parents garage in wales - it wasnt - and it fell against a mower trailer. It put a slight mark on the seat unit (may polish out) and scratched off some of the paint on the nosecone edge near the clutch lever. could have been much worse.

Needless to say i felt sick and would rather have slung the new 600RR down the road good and proper.

But in the cold light of day its minor marks and easily fixed in the right hands, i needed a few touch up's doing anyway but its hard to find a painter who can do a good job repairing at a reasonable cost who is understanding of what the panels are from and not treat them as your average jap panel.

As vfor RC30 prices yes they are crazy, and from a RC30 owner i can assure you they aint worth the money for bangs for your buck, however they command no street cred most of the time becuase your average R1GSXRRRRRRRR joe has no idea of what it is (its just another NC30 in'it) or any interest if it is less than 170bhp at the wheel. sure gives em a shock in the bends though and plays a superb soundtrack that no IL4 can match.

Also it seems every time there is a bit of press about them prices go up another grand. there were 3 - 4 articles in several mags over the last 14 months or so, and in the last year prices have gone up around 3k

Mine is a full power euro spec bike (big headlamps and mirrors but kph and small indicators) on a G plate with a genuine 13,000 miles, only been a road bike, and its been used. Its original and 8/10 condition. i would say about the same as your average 2001 / 2002 ducati or jap bike, minor marks and corrosion on alloy parts (easily cleaned or polished if bothered) but i like to leave it looking like a well used bike and not some polished to death ornament.

As for foggy prices, i think if he had kept his trap shut from time to time then they would be worth more than they are today. bloody nice bike though