Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Apr-2012, 16:20
Bikes: Ducati 996s

Mood: Mellow!
Unhappy Fingers crossed!!

Well it's in for repair now to be worked on next Tuesday, after trying all the obvious.
So I've got everything crossed in anticpation!
Old 16-Apr-2012, 15:47

Lightbulb Phew

Well after my repair guy looking at it for a week, it actually fired up only to stop in the same original manner. He is inclined to think that it's a combo of corroded wiring and dodgy alarm, (Meta 357T) so I asked him to remove it, but he says it's not as easy as that due to were it may have been channeled into. I now have to be patient and wait until he has time to finish the job. (What with everyone wanting their bike ready for summer and George Whites closing)
Ah well, at least it's less expensive than replacing an ecu!!
Old 16-Apr-2012, 17:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Cool

Argh! If only you'd have said Meta 357T in the first place I would have said "YES! That happened to me too!!"

Mine packed in and left me stranded unable to start the bike. It looked like it was working, but just didn't allow the bike to start. There are plenty of reports of the boards on these going AWOL due to water damage/ingress. After figuring it out, the mech bridged it rather than cut out. It's still there, it just doesn't do anything any more!

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 16-Apr-2012, 20:34
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Hmmm, had a similar problem with my 996 bip years ago. It cut dead a few times. Electrics apparently completely dead waggled the main battery leads and it came back to life or maybe that was just a coincidence.

It had a meta alarm system on it.

It did it a few times over a couple of months then fixed itself, was fine for the next year or two 'til I sold it.

Ray.
Old 18-Apr-2012, 05:47

Thanks for the input guys, hopefully I'll get her back soon before the better weather starts.
Old 14-May-2012, 19:37

At last it's back after 4 weeks!
Old 09-Jun-2012, 08:32

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996VINCE
Riding back home after attending the Royal Wootton Bassett Ride of Respect, the 996 suddenly lost all power and died; thought of past problems with the ignition/fuel pump relay so tried swapping the spare I carry, to no avail.
Had to get a friend to rescue me with his trailer, and tried replacing all the relays and fuses, but nothing.
Thought of the dreaded ecu faults, hope not!! (Also, the fuel pump does not pressurise when the ignition is switched on and the starter button is dead)
Any thoughts would be very welcome, cheers.

Best thing to do is swap your ecu over with one that is working.That will immediatly tell you if its a computer problem.If the bike runs with another computer in it then try swapping the eprom. If the bike does not start again then the eprom chip has problems and its not the computer. There are dioades in the p8 and 1.6 ecu that get affected by heat transfere from the pipes. The one to test on the board is a ca3262a.(inverting power driver). Costs about 50 cents. A bit cheaper than a new computer eh. good luck.
ned. (996 SPS that cost me a lot of time to figure out the same problem that you have had .)
ps. If you r stuck on the roadside and the relay under the seat that runs the fuel pump will not fire up you can hot wire between 2 circuits at the feed in end on your computer using a piece of wire. Fuel pump will fire up and home u go ! if you want more details on this let me know. Very easy to do.
ned.
Old 16-Jun-2012, 15:00
GTL
Bikes: 998R, Panigale S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996VINCE
Yes, exactly that model.
How did you rectify it?
Cheers.

I had the same alarm/immobiliser on my 998 and eventually removed the whole system as it became so unreliable. Worst moment was going through the gooseneck at Cadwell and it caused a power drop. Only lasted a second (probably less) but near enough had me going off the track.

Now replaced by a Tracker and no further problems.