Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 06-Oct-2006, 19:37
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jools
Just a question, hence the three question marks, since it wasn't clear to me from the original post. It's good to have 996 confirm that he would not take any pleasure in somebody taking a financial pasting through their choice of a 999.

On the other hand, ever since the 999 was introduced it has had many detractors, many of whom have made it perfectly clear that they can't wait to see it's demise, will not buy another Ducati until the 999 is shelved and would rub their hands with glee the day that it was taken off the market. Nearly all of these detractors have been owners of.....well, 996's and the like, so I thought it was a fair question to ask.

Personally, with my ST and my 'antique' 888, the issue doesn't really affect me, but if I had the money for another bike I wouldn't baulk at a T9 since I have always considered them to be a bold and very striking design that I like a lot. Love them or hate them, they can't be accused of being bland and if Ducati means anything to me it's about being brave enough to stand out against the herd and make their own statements. If it were not so, Ducati certainly have the technical savvy to have competed in the marketplace with an IL4 of their own to compete against the Japanese but all Ducati would be then is a 'me too' manufacturer with no distinguishing characteristics, and I believe it is the distinguishing characteristics of the big twin, desmo valves, dry clutch, trellis frame etc that we all so admire.

The other thing that I still don't get is the rush to have the latest, greatest. We all know that there are very, very few people on this board (perhaps one or two racers amongst us) that can use anywhere near the potential of a 999. Effectively most of us are only about half as good as the bike - so there is plenty of performance potential sitting there going to waste on a standard 999. I've never understood the Japanese inspired thing that dictates something is obselete as soon as something that is a kilo lighter and a few bhp more powerful comes along, and yet each year, driven by this marketing hype, people rush off to buy more and more of something that they can't use

like what you say Jools. having seen the new Kawasaki ZX6R, it will interesting to see how that sells,given its a 599cc not 636cc (slower possibly)and it looks awful IMHO. tough job for their marketing people!
Old 06-Oct-2006, 19:44
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
Angry

the biggest problem the 749 /999 has is the 748/996/998 owners ****ging it off just because they love their bike which i understand as i have owned 748 and 996 so if ducati people are not accepting the 999 why should any body else. i think the 749/999 is a major leap forward proper italian styling fantastic handling bang on fueling i could go on and on. i have looked long and hard at my 999 and i cant see how it could be improved on and i wouldent like to go backwards by having single sided swinging arm twin pipes side by side front lights. while im at it ive never heard anybody say troys leon,s and gregs bikes are ugley they look unique on the grid unlike the rest which you can only tell the difference buy the colours . ps i love my 999
Old 06-Oct-2006, 19:53
Ducati Corse

Smile Clint

...when the 1098 turns up and you say 'pah, it's a load of tosh and I can't see the point of the swing arm, the twin pipes and the side by side lights' - you'll then know how us 916 fans felt when your 999 came out

And all the new owners will be calling you a ludite for not embracing change!

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. One man's Mona Lisa is another man's Charlotte Church
Old 06-Oct-2006, 19:59
DaveB916

Well Henners there's a dilemma Mona Lisa or Charlotte Church...maybe a Poll?

I know who I prefer nudge nudge, and she likes rugger players....lolol
Old 06-Oct-2006, 20:07
Ducati Corse

at least she has a pulse Dave

Old 09-Oct-2006, 00:25
Mille

Mood: just love my slipper clutch
i wont have a problem with the new 1098 if i like it ill buy one if i dont i wont but i wont tell any one who does buy it its ugly i just cant understand how anybody can say the 999 is ugly i think the 999 was a good step forwards and has everthing ducatis are about including winning wsb races
Old 09-Oct-2006, 09:55
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Just as the 999 looks have started to grow on me,they bring out a new one.

But maybe thats the problem with the 999,to many it didn't give off that instant jaw drop.........
Old 09-Oct-2006, 12:07
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Auto racing, bull fighting, and mountain climbing are the only real sports ... all others are games
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners

And all the new owners will be calling you a ludite for not embracing change!

Beauty, as they say, is in the eye of the beholder. One man's Mona Lisa is another man's Charlotte Church

from a 916 man that is very funny, :-), nice use of irony there, with tongue firmly in cheek, no doubt

but each to there own, following the 916 was always going to be near impossible, but at least it was a bold design.

For the record, I would go for Charlotte
Old 09-Oct-2006, 16:35
Big Twin

Mood: I've just ordered a new bike and its a ..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henners

I happen to like a good moaner and dont go to church..............
Old 13-Oct-2006, 16:15
RCA

Bottem line, the 999 great technology, great engine etc, aweful front end. Lets face it, the 1098 will basically set out to cure all the things which people hated about the 999 looks wise, as well as the obvious power increase, weight reduction etc. The only reason i bought a 996 is because the way the 999 looked, ****, but yeahm each to their own. Iam also going to Milan and have already ordered a 1098S, I have faith Ducati will get things right this time.

This is nothing to do with having 'too much money' or wanted something that will outperform me, it's because I've had to wait years for the 998 replacement, the 1098. The 999 was'nt a replacement, just a blip. Hundreds of 916, 996, 998 owners cannot be wrong.

999 room 101 please.