Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:22   #1
GTL

Mood: Busy, Busy...Busy!
Trackday concerns
Hi guys, just some thoughts to get a few things off my chest and then your opinions.

I am an experienced track day bod, having now been on over 50 track days, 40 of which in the fast group.
I also have 3 yrs racing experience.
Now i'm defo not saying that im the fastest boy out there by any means but i can hold my own.

On the weekend i was, yet again, completely pollaxed from behind mid way through sears by someone trying to keep up with his 'boyfriend', leaving me with half a dozen cracked ribs and wrecked leathers.

My observation is that more and more race boys are using a track day as pre race prep and more incidents like this are occurring.(This is my 3rd time at being wiped out by another rider)

S**t happens and i know that, but the point is, is that there are a mix of people going as fast as they WANT with people going as fast as they CAN which is a sometimes dangerous combination.

If i race, then i mentally prepare myself to do so. Track days are a different kettle of fish, i DO NOT expect to trade paint, defend my line or have hard moves put on me or for me to put on anyone else!

Snetterton was like nothing i had seen before, it was more a mini race meet than a track day.
EVERYONE had box trailers,warmers,stands,tool boxes, spare wheel trees etc...

Something else i have noticed is that the organisers always say if they notice this sort of thing blah,blah,blah they will send the guy home. On sat it was the only time i have seen, literally 25 people from all groups, rushing up to them complaining and they did bugger all, apart from another speech at lunch.!

I am not about to stop attending track days but am i the only person who has noticed a significant change recently?

Rant over
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:26   #2
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
hope youire not too badly hurt...either physically or in the wallet!!

dont do enough to know - done 5, 3 rained off so 2 really, over the last two years..makes me think about not doing any more tho!
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:27   #3
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Well i did a couple this weekend and although there were a lot of 'racers' out there, the overtakes were fairly straight forward and nice and leisurely.

Even at Oulton there were plently of guys running warmers and race bikes, although that doesn't necessarily mean they are 'racers' just guys who have a bit of extra money to pay for a race bike.

from speaking to a mate who was in fast yesterday, there was nothing like this in the fast group yesterday.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:44   #4
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
the shift is changing for sure. when i started trackdays you would find a few people with race/track bikes and trailers vans etc. now i would say it is the norm. if a trackday falls conveniently before a meeting at said circuit then a large percentage of people there; in ALL groups will be racers.

im not sure what can be done but something has to be. 3 groups is simply not enought separate out all the abilities.

im not a quick racer or is a 620 monster a quick bike but i have been out in all 3 groups on it.

i beleive i am courteous but probably pass closer or at areas where strictly i shouldnt.

there will be many more incidents until the track companies really do reprimand people for bad riding, and not just a chat at lunch but chucking them off track.

may be trackdays should be run as roadbikes only or track and race bikes allowed. i think it would save alot of problems
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:50   #5
GTL

That was my only complaint of the day, apart from the fact that the guy didnt have the balls to come up to me and apologise.

The fact that if you preach the rules, back them up when they are broken. There is no point if you rant on in the morning brief about courtesy, and this is a track day etc... if you let them go out and do whatever they like.

I was overtaken on red,yellow and the chequer flag, even on the 3 sighting laps and in session!

Maybe it was a one off because i have never seen anything like it.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 15:52   #6
Big Twin

Mood: R1's are better than Ducatis'
Quote:
Originally posted by revdecal
That was my only complaint of the day, apart from the fact that the guy didnt have the balls to come up to me and apologise.

The fact that if you preach the rules, back them up when they are broken. There is no point if you rant on in the morning brief about courtesy, and this is a track day etc... if you let them go out and do whatever they like.

I was overtaken on red,yellow and the chequer flag, even on the 3 sighting laps and in session!

Maybe it was a one off because i have never seen anything like it.

I was also overtaken on the 'sighting' laps yesterday... but it was on the power and i was taking it easy warming my tyres.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 16:04   #7
Deceased 02/10/2010 - R.I.P.
Ducati Corse

Mood: NGRRC Minitwins champion 2007
Racers don't have much choice but to use trackdays as ACU test days are becoming rarer

Racers and trackdays don't mix well.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 16:24   #8
500SD
Bikes: multistrada, 748R/916

Mood: one very coool cat!
i think you have a good point - trackdays are not cheap and are a day off work and possibly £££ on the damage. trackday companies go on about not making money, cost of insurance etc etc but the problem was too many trying to cash in. i am no TD expert but get really pi££ed when you are told 3 sighting laps no passing on the cool down or red/yellow flag and what happens?? trouble is as paying public we are a bit stumped - if you want to go on a trackday - and i like them as a way of riding my bike faster/safer than on the road then what can you do??????? and yes, more people are getting very serious about it and splashing the cash - that must mean that having invested more money they have to prove a point - scary thought.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 16:31   #9
Ducati Corse

Mood: R U thinking what I'm thinking?......Oh dear!
Racer, experienced trackdayer, Novice or somewhere in between as long as you ride with respect and a mind for the safety for those in front of you there shouldn't be a problem.

Unfortunately the I'm alright jack mindset sometimes gets on to the track on a track day. Not good.

Sure I've noticed more and more race bikes or wannabee racers at days now but as long as the riders have the "right attitude" that shouldn't be a problem.

Ray.
Old 26-Apr-2006, 16:31   #10
GTL

I think its the fact that, as you say, they are running a business.

And if its close to a race day and the fast group is full, they filter them down into the inters and even novice!

As i am a bit experienced, if someone shoves it up the inside of me, i wont (9 times out of 10) grab any front brake or panic.
For the less experienced fast boys and novice, it must be very intimidating!

Still love doing them though