Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 20-Feb-2004, 17:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Wet wet wet
"Buy it now" for 4 and 1/2 grand!!.....who gives a stuff if its made of several bikes - most of mine are!!!
Old 21-Feb-2004, 12:37
GTL

Nat

You have U2U.

A
Old 21-Feb-2004, 19:13
500SD

Mood: UKGS'ers Non PC and Vibrant
which bike?

looking over the site there seems to be a lot of chat about which is the best bike to own, ST4R/999/998/916SPS/748,9/888/SP/SPS/
SPO etc
surely in an ideal world we'd have one of each,theres nothing fundementaly wrong with any of them.
to me personally they just get more sanitized as you head towards the new bikes.
i was fortunte to try my 888 back to back against a mates 748 and anothers 749,
i must admit the 749 was like riding a 250 size wise it handled superb,but neither had that brutish involvment that i get from the 888.
it doesnt make me better rider i just get more fun trying to tame it,if i wanted a fast easy life i'd get a FireBlade!!!!
its like Beemers would you buy a brand new sanitized M3 or the original LHD M3 EVO with less power but more driver input.
everyones taste is different which why this web site is visited so often.

[Edited on 21-2-2004 by 888heaven]
Old 23-Feb-2004, 21:29

Mood: older but wiser!
While on the subject of 888's, looks like I'm going to be selling mine and was wandering what it was worth before advertising. Details:
93 888 Strada with bits to make it it an SP5 bitsa, single seat etc etc.
Ohlins rear - Maxton Front modified.
Maxton steering damper.
15000kms only, thoroughly serviced and pampered, valve shims at Manchester Ducati. Carbon HI Rise exhausts, K&N filter.
Renthal sprockets and 520 gold chain. New Avon tyres, carbon huggers front and rear. Braided hoses, new pads. New 'Gates' timing belts fitted at 12000 miles. New RR51 Electrex regulator fitted last year. The bike is a must for someone who's looking for a sorted 888, I just need a bit of guidance to what it is worth??
Old 23-Feb-2004, 23:22
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: Back down to 3 :>(
KEV..WHAT YER DOING !!!!????? Bit of a shock mate ...why are you selling ??

For a bike like yours id say about £4k(+) mark bearing in mind its a non UK model.

BTW..not sure if youve been getting my messages but cant get through on e-mail..basically wanted some more help on the seat unit. Do you still have the standard seat setup?? If so can I buy your SP5 unit and save myself a load of sodding about !!

Im up your way (vauxhall ellesmere & Jag Hailwood) 10/3, so maybe we could meet up if its close enough on my way home.

Hopefully hear from you soon mate..

Nat
Old 24-Feb-2004, 21:07
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Pitcrew,
having seen what people (including me!)will pay for 888 bits, IMHO you are better off flogging it as standard and selling all the bolt-ons........
There have been a couple of 888/SP5 lookalikes down here with 4500-5000 asking prices, but I think they went for less than that, with standard-ish Stradas going for 3500-3700.

Again, IMHO people are trying to make them classics rather than damn good real world road bikes a bit too soon, and are pricing them and their spares accordingly......but I would say that as I need bits for both of mine

BTW what mods did you have done to the forks and why?

Cheers, Paul
Old 25-Feb-2004, 19:07
Ducati in my Blood

Agree with Paul Kev..if I was selling up I would put my bike back as standard as soon as possible.

On that note..if you do sell the bits can I have first refusal??! Deffo int i seat unit if you still have standard!!

Cheers
Nat

Nat
Old 25-Feb-2004, 19:19

Mood: older but wiser!
Thanks for the reply boys, will keep them in mind. I think if I get 4k for the bike I will let it go, I've had some great fun on it and I hope someone with the same enthusiastic approach can look after it. The front forks had lighter springs fitted and revalved for softer damping. I found the handling very vague when I first got it and more so on a track day. Maxton said that all ducs are sold with too hard a suspension setup and it is a common problem, so he went ahead with the mods. I must admit that the changes were a dramatic improvement, he set up the forks in the bike before passing back.
Old 26-Feb-2004, 11:52
DSC Club Member
Ducati Meccanica

Interesting comment re front end.
Both my 851 and 888 feel pretty good at the front on the track - maybe its because I weigh 13st (or 14st wet at Mallory last year!)??
Also Baines had fitted a new Ohlins rear with spring to suit me and tweaked everything. Dropping the yokes down a bit made the biggest difference to the front feel for me.

Regards
Paul
Old 26-Feb-2004, 15:53
Ducati in my Blood

Im planning on getting my suspension sorted in the summer as I had a very 'interesting' track day at silverstone. Some of it due to shoddy tyres (michelins hi sports!), some due to brake fade (adressed with brembo radial master cylinder but above all a feeling of vagueness and a wiggly arse!!! I have jacked the back up a bit to make it steer a bit quicker and my next port of call is an ohlins rear shock...did the ohlins go on before the other mods paul?? If so was there a noticeable diff??

Cheers
Nat