Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 16-Jun-2003, 20:52
Big Twin

EH? If your shock is too stiff and you hit some bumps etc as your cornering it will chew the tyres up! Your tyre ends up doing more of the suspensions work!
Old 17-Jun-2003, 07:52
Big Twin
Bikes: Kawasaki ZX10r D6f, Dawes XC2.4, Planet X Superlight Pro Carbon

Mood: aving a laff
Cold Tear?

Ian,
If, as you say, you were not riding as hard as you would on the road then is it possible, even on a hot day, that your tyres were not getting enough heat in them and so trying to power out of bends could cause the tyres to cold tear?

I had the same problem with my R6 doing the roundabout GP's and once I had seen the results of going crackers on a cold tyre I now try and get em warm before playing silly buggers.

The soft rear suspension should not be a problem on a Duke though as they are renowned for being over stiff from standard and the standard spring is too much for your average sized family bear.

Might have been a contributory factor for the R6 though as they are v soft.
Set mine with MH Racins set up for four quid, changed the bike and only needed minor tweaks to sort it for me.
Old 17-Jun-2003, 21:19
Mille

Tyre pressures

Dunno about the wear/suspension set up etc but just returned from 2 days at Brands on the European Superbike School. Great training and they also set up my bike.

Tyre pressures 31 front & 30 rear. Rear sag set uo and front prload adjusted. They suggested NOT changing the other settings.

Worked a treat. 207RRs were fantastic but now look very second hand!
Old 17-Jun-2003, 21:32

DJ stop cahttin ****!!
Old 17-Jun-2003, 21:51
Big Twin

quiet ya tongue
Old 17-Jun-2003, 22:44

ducatimad,do you run the same preasures on the road 207rrs 31 fr 30 rear
Old 18-Jun-2003, 09:10
Mille

Mood: Yoi
Despite my avatar (more on that later) I run a 2000 996SPS on track and do "quite" a lot of trackdays. I changed to using slicks last year and haven't looked back since.

The bike received some serious supsension mods earlier this year from JH Performance and the difference is unbelievable. John himself may ride it at Mallory on the 1st so that you can see what it can do (there's no way that I can get near it's limit.)

Regarding the question about tyre wear on track, I'm currently using a soft compound front at 30psi (cold) and a medium rear 29psi and have just completed 4 days: Jerez, Mallory, Cadwell and Snetterton - that's 610 miles and I may be good for another day yet. The last treaded tyres that I used (D208 GP) were excellent but only lasted 210 miles on Silverstones GP circuit!
Old 18-Jun-2003, 10:12
Mille

http://www.dunloptyres.co.uk/site/tyres/4x4/pressureGuide/

See the above link.

I run 32 front and 34 rear on the road. Reducing the pressure does get more heat into the tyres and quicker but the trade off is that the tread closes up. They said at the school that 1psi reduction reduces the tread by 50% and therefore the water displacement capabilities - MD of Pirelli agreed (he was there).

I never play with the pressures on the road. One other bit of 'bad' info - apparently, once the tyres reach a high temperature, once they cool and then re-heat they need to heat up to beyond the original point before they provide the same level of grip again. This applies even more to 'race' orientated tyres that are designed to be heated to these levels only once - or so I was told, I'm no expert!
Old 19-Jun-2003, 09:49
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: Still having fun!
here\'s the pic

Old 19-Jun-2003, 10:06
Big Twin

Mood: :devil:
I'd go along with weeksy there