Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 18-Oct-2005, 12:51
500SD

Transporting a 748s

Ok I pick up my 748s on saturday

Using a bike trailer and ratchet straps - have done this before with other bikes - anyone able to tell me where is best to use for the straps to hold the bike without causing damage / give me any tips from past such transporting? Thanks
Old 18-Oct-2005, 13:11
BSB Star

Mood: Soon my pet, soon
Never done it on a trailer, but I always strap my bike from where the subframe bolts to the frame above the shock etc, and rachet down from there, putting a cable tie on the front brake, never had any problems so far
Old 18-Oct-2005, 13:13
500SD

Any routing problems at the front?

On my other bikes I run the strap round the tops of the forktubes and down through the fairing?

Good idea re the cable tie though - never thought of that
Old 19-Oct-2005, 00:19
500SD

Boinggggggg
Old 19-Oct-2005, 00:50
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
I use three ratchet straps:

One goes through the frame between the engine and the shock, but make sure you pass it UNDER the rear exhaust header otherwise it'll rub on the sensor bolt and can break the strap. This will clamp down either side and hold the bike. Leave plenty of room to avoid catching on the rearsets, and you might want to put some kind of cloth near the frame to avoid marking the paint.

The other two come up along the fork and over the bottom triple clamp (yoke) to pull down the front suspension. Be careful here not to catch any brake lines or cables.

I usually wrap the ends of the straps around the front wheel and the trailer for one, and around the front brake lever and bar for the other, so stop it moving anywhere.

Don't load the suspension or brakes too much as you can pop the seals.

Take it easy and it'll be fine.

[Edited on 18-10-2005 by antonye]
Old 19-Oct-2005, 09:10
500SD

cheers - seems the same as other bikes I have moved - i wassd thinking i might have to remove the fairings first but from what you have said maybe not
Old 19-Oct-2005, 11:03
Ducati Corse
Bikes: 916 Strada

Mood: www.od2racing.co.uk
Quote:
Originally posted by antonye
I use three ratchet straps:

One goes through the frame between the engine and the shock, but make sure you pass it UNDER the rear exhaust header otherwise it'll rub on the sensor bolt and can break the strap. This will clamp down either side and hold the bike. Leave plenty of room to avoid catching on the rearsets, and you might want to put some kind of cloth near the frame to avoid marking the paint.

The other two come up along the fork and over the bottom triple clamp (yoke) to pull down the front suspension. Be careful here not to catch any brake lines or cables.

I usually wrap the ends of the straps around the front wheel and the trailer for one, and around the front brake lever and bar for the other, so stop it moving anywhere.

Don't load the suspension or brakes too much as you can pop the seals.

Take it easy and it'll be fine.

[Edited on 18-10-2005 by antonye]

& for good measure you should take 2 or 3 spare weels
Old 19-Oct-2005, 18:32
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
You'll only ever need one spare [trailer] wheel as that guarantees that you won't need it... trust me on this one!
Old 21-Oct-2005, 00:36
Bevel Head

Mood: Aroused
Secure the rear down by pulling up 2 straps round the rear footrests, or something else round there as i guess u wont have them Tighten both sides at the same time, to bring the bike level. Then 1 large round the bike behind the tank, using a friends fleace so not to scratch ur paint. Check that the rears are still tight. Then get lots of ropes and other tie straps to make sure its not going anywhere, might look a bit silly but made it 300 miles and didnt move or get damaged!

[Edited on 20-10-2005 by EMPI]