Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 19-Apr-2006, 20:23

748 problem changing gear

Hi all,
Ive recently replaced the slave cylider, new fluid, new pushrod seals, new bleed nipple, new pressure plate bearing because I was advised that any or all of these items was causing me to lose my clutch while riding. I took off the selector and greased it and put it back on, and a general simple service, fluids and so on.

It works !!

But now I cant get the gears to slip in very easily.
If Im riding and want to change from 1st to 2nd I have to push the selector down and then up, same from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and so on.
When changing down I have to do the opposite.
Its very frustrating.
add in a really really hard clutch lever and Im wondering if these dukes are worth all the effort.
Im sure its simple to fix but dont know where to start.
Also neutral is not easily found, especially when the light doesnt come on when its in it!!
1996 748 bip...
anyone want to :
a) Buy it
b) help!!!!
Old 19-Apr-2006, 21:51
500SD

Quote:
Originally posted by Josax
Hi all,
Ive recently replaced the slave cylider, new fluid, new pushrod seals, new bleed nipple, new pressure plate bearing because I was advised that any or all of these items was causing me to lose my clutch while riding. I took off the selector and greased it and put it back on, and a general simple service, fluids and so on.

It works !!

But now I cant get the gears to slip in very easily.
If Im riding and want to change from 1st to 2nd I have to push the selector down and then up, same from 2nd to 3rd, 3rd to 4th and so on.
When changing down I have to do the opposite.
Its very frustrating.
add in a really really hard clutch lever and Im wondering if these dukes are worth all the effort.
Im sure its simple to fix but dont know where to start.
Also neutral is not easily found, especially when the light doesnt come on when its in it!!
1996 748 bip...
anyone want to :

a) Buy it
b) help!!!!

A tenner for cash then Sorry cant help. When you say selector. Where abouts do you get to that then. Casings off then
Old 20-Apr-2006, 11:59
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Did the slave cylinder come with a spacer that fits in the piston bore?
There are two lengths of pushrod and I'd guess you've got the shorter one from the age of the bike.
If you have the short rod you won't get full travel on the pressure plate which'll make the change clunky, and the hard lever will most probably be from the piston hitting the engine case.