Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 02-Nov-2005, 21:45
Montjuic

Mood: The Wah rock so hard!!
Funny head stock bearings?

Hi, i had to change my head stock bearings. which my handy mate has done amongst a number of things he found that the bearings are plastic covered ball bearings, which he thought weird. appaently on all other bikes he has worked on the bearings are roller types, metal covered.

(This is obviously why my bike was squeaking a lot!!)
are these "plastic bearings a bodge or normal ducati stuff??

I seem to have bought a bike thats been through the wars, he has had major trouble getting the forks straight in the yokes. a drilled out and new "grub screw" or centre pin or both later its better but not right.

Any thoughts?? i've noticed no problems riding before!
Old 02-Nov-2005, 21:49
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
By plastic covered do you mean they are held together in a plastic ring that keeps them evenly spaced. This is normal for a Ducati and many other bikes including my CBR6 and my R6 although on the R6 I have changed the top one to a taper roller bearing where the rollers are held in place by a metal cage.
Old 02-Nov-2005, 22:44
Montjuic

Mood: The Wah rock so hard!!
Oh, dunno, that sounds more realistic than plastic coated balls dosen't it!??

I'll have to ask him! oh well metal must be better than plastic!?
Old 05-Nov-2005, 17:16
Mille

Mood: counting down to mad sunday
Squeaky steering head bearings? - If you look at the front of the headstock tube just below the top pinch bolt for adjusting the steering head angle, you will see a round hole which permits the tube to flex as you tighen or loosen the pinch bolt, this permits water to get into the bearings, and there is no similar drain hole at the bottom, whether you ride in the rain or just wash your bike, the water gets in. My bearings were ruined after 4 years, because I didn't strip and grease them regularly. I have covered the hole with a smear of silicone sealant to reduce the amount of water getting in.

Steve