Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:41
Big Twin

Mood: is it the weekend yet??
Quote:
Originally posted by KP
OK I will probably regret this but I have had two R1100S's. Last one was a boxer cup replika (trying to justify myself here!).

Anyway, being a BMW it came with heated grips. Being BMW it came with two settings, hot and meltingly hot.

However if I wore thicker gloves for the winter, it stopped the heat coming through. If I wore thinner gloves, my hands were nice and warm on the palms but cold on the back.

I settled for medium thickness gloves (Alpinestars gortex) on a hot setting and found them pretty good. BUT I agree, pointless if the rest of you is cold.

Having been used to them I would be lying if I said I hadnt considered them again, but I dont ride my Ducati enough in the winter to warrant it.

On prevous bikes when I was commuting all weathers I tried 'Oxford Muffs' and found them no good at all.

Heated grips work if you get decent ones, I have tried cheap ones and they dont work & look crap too. If you are going to get them, get the proper ones, even see if BMW fit them, and get a heated vest. That combination would see you through most things I would have thought.

Now I will await the onslaught of having been a BMW rider with heated grips. Bring it on!!!

I had a few hours where i considered a GS, even went as far as phoning the dealer for a test ride. After I was released from the Psychiatric ward the urge had gone, bought a KTM supermoto instead so whatever they'ed given me worked

Fully agree on the thiner gloves, i would rather have control of bike and be able to feel bars with a thin glove and heaters than a thick pair numbing the feel.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 17:51
Mille

Mood: Replacing 999...
"Fully agree on the thiner gloves, i would rather have control of bike and be able to feel bars with a thin glove and heaters than a thick pair numbing the feel."

Think you are right. I would go with that.

And yes I was born in the fifties, mentally in the seventies - you are as old as the woman you feel!!:P
Old 05-Aug-2005, 18:25
Big Twin

Quote:

And yes I was born in the fifties, mentally in the seventies - you are as old as the woman you feel!!:P

agreed
Old 05-Aug-2005, 19:29
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Mike

i think your age is just right, perfect in fact, ignore them young farts

Children of the 50's who've never grown old Shaun

Meant to ask, where were you born ??

I was actually born in Cheshire, but moved upto Gods Country when Mum and Dad got me a job down the pit at the age of 18 months old.
Old 05-Aug-2005, 19:37
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Quote:
Originally posted by Gizmo
Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
Mike

i think your age is just right, perfect in fact, ignore them young farts

Children of the 50's who've never grown old Shaun

Meant to ask, where were you born ??

I was actually born in Cheshire, but moved upto Gods Country when Mum and Dad got me a job down the pit at the age of 18 months old.

I was just thinking how funny it would have been if you were born at Dryburn Hospital, Durham. We might have been there at same time .

Why did your parents wait till 18 months?? it was my first birthday treat, i got to work in a 6 inch high seam
Old 06-Aug-2005, 01:13
Big Twin

Gizmo, you might try contacting Overipe & Keen either through here or on Multistrada.net as he had some heated grips attached to his Multistrada. I am sure he said he had got them through a company that supplies them for those snowmobile type things. I know I laughed at the time but I met up for a ride out with him last winter and had a go on his bike and they were excellent. I think he only paid about £30 for them. I really did not want to swap bikes back they were that good! I hate thick gloves and have tried those silk inner gloves which help a lot but still lose a lot of feel with them.
Old 06-Aug-2005, 11:23
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Geated grips are fantastic

I use the velcro'd, Oxford "Hot hands" on my 998, so I can easily take them off for summer, and I think they are the one thing thet help me to keep riding all year round. I use the same leathers all year round (euuwww, must wash them next year too) and just slip a thicker t-shirt on underneath if tis below 5 degrees outside.
Heated waistcoats! PAH! Whatever next, hot-pants

[Edited on 6-8-2005 by psychlist]
Old 06-Aug-2005, 12:26
everton

Paul ...

Are you a ventriloquist?
Old 07-Aug-2005, 09:43
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: Diavel, very non-std black & white ;)

Mood: Lucky? For some, maybe!
Quote:
Originally posted by everton
Paul ...

Are you a ventriloquist?

Do! I gust sneezed nid-sentence!