Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 03-Jul-2005, 01:45
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by breakout
yeh sorry misread your post,this time of night I am mostly full of s--- anyway sorry

Quote:
Originally posted by BDG
David

welcome to the board.

Tough decision to make, i have owned a year 2000 SPS (with Ohlins front forks) same as the 99 SPS otherwise, and curently have a 996R which has essentially the same engine and running gear as the 998FE.

Its a very close call, the SPS is a bit more brutal, bit more character! the testastretta engine in the 998 is more powerful, smoother and refined, but certainly not bland. On balance i would go with the 996R (but only just, the difference isn't as big as you may expect in my honest opinion). Lot depends on your budget, the new bike will depreciate more, and how much you value 2 years warranty.

For a more detailed comparison do a search here on the board on a story i wrote recently comparing the 2 bikes
"996SPS vs 996R Performance Touring Test" complete with dyno graphs of both bikes.

By the way the 996R does have the 998 testasretta engine, just in case you don't know.

Good luck.

Hey Breakout don't worry, i know what you mean about this time of night, my real name is GBD but when i first logged on it was late & i'd had a few drinks
Old 03-Jul-2005, 01:48
Ducati Corse

Mood: Daft as MartinH after too much Smirnoff Ice
Quote:
Originally posted by david.hicks
Thanks for all your help everyone - today I put down a deposit on the 998s FE! I collect it a week on Monday!

At the moment I am getting the following "extras" ...
[list=1]
50mm Termis
Datatool System 3 alarm
Padock stand
Carbon rear hugger
Tank protector
Front number board (stone chip protection!)[/list=1]

I am also thinking about some more carbon - just coz it looks so good on the SPS (airbox, scoops, front mudguard, exhaust heat cover).

Anything else that should be on my list?

Great choice, hope you love it. I'd also suggest a Carbon wallet, preferably with a bloody big padlock on or you'll keep on spending, its a disease and there'sno known cure.

Enjoy
Old 03-Jul-2005, 14:22
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by breakout
996r (yr 2001) has a deep sump sandcast testastretta engine ,the 998/998s engines had the same bore 100mm as the 996r. The 998r has a shorter stroke (108mm bore) than the 996r longer stroke ,smaller (100mm) bore

breakout - the 998R has a 104mm bore and 58.8mm stroke the same as the current 999R engine.

Read all about it here.
Old 04-Jul-2005, 12:41
500SD
Bikes: CBR 600F2-(Ishikawa), Blade RRS-(Baba San), 996s-(Tambo), 996R-(Tambo), MV f1000 312-Tambo

Mood: I like my bike
Double bubble screen, cheap but excellent mod too.