Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 09-Jun-2004, 19:10
500SD
Bikes: 999 Mono/1198S

Mood: Messing with diagnostics
Mugello on an ST4S

Have just returned home this morning from the MotoGP in Mugello. 7 day trip and the ST4S has not missed a beat. All the prep work put in on the bike has paid off. Starter motor rewire, side stand gizmo, Scotoiler and open clutch cover.

Cruised at 90 - 100 mph there and back. Got 208 miles out of a tank before the fuel light came on (That's with Ducati Performance pipes, airbox and filter). Ran it on Super Unleaded. Zero oil use. The Avon Azaro ST's are shot (done 5000 miles though).

Best part of the trip was doing 90mph along the St Gothard pass in Switzerland with 10 foot high snow walls either side of the road. It just defied logic. Freezing temps and no ice on the road.

Met Steve Parrish and Charlie Cox at the Hotel we were staying in just outside Florence. Parrish got himself fined by the Italian Police for doing 87kmph in a 50 kmph limit. Cost him 130 euros (He can afford it!).

Great trip but am knackered.
Old 09-Jun-2004, 22:06
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Chris
The ST4s is a fine tourer, and the St Gothard is just one of the great "Passes" we have here in Switzerland. Next time you're this way let me know and I'll meet up with you on my Yellow ST4s. And if you want any info on routes or where to stay etc - just U2U me.
Old 10-Jun-2004, 00:12
500SD

Switzerland - Athelstan

It was a flying visit. Stayed overnight in Interlaken and then on to Italy the nexy day. On the return we drove straight through to France.

If I do ever return I will take up your offer.

How keen are they with the Gatsos?

As for the Vignette, the combined tolls in France and Italy were less. We drove NL, B, L, F, CH & I - all motorway except for the Gothard Pass (The other passes were closed).
Old 10-Jun-2004, 01:34
DSC Club Member
Ducati in my Blood
Bikes: 1100S Multistrada, 450RT, Gilera Nordwest, Bultaco Frontera, Rickman Metisse-being built!

Mood: Growing old-DISGRACEFULLY!
Good one Chris, I did it last year with my lady Jo on the back of my '4S, we made it a 2 week trip and did 3000 miles-including a couple of laps of the Nurburgring on the way home-one 2 up!
Fuel consumption was excellant-57mpg-cruising at 100-110. We got a tug in Austria on the way home, 67kph in a 50 zone-cost us 21 euro's.

John
Old 10-Jun-2004, 08:56
Mille

Mood: Abbia Divertimento---o0o---Cassaforte Di Soggiomo
Chris
Handheld's rarely used (usually only on the edge of town to get you as you speed-up too soon to get out of them) - BUT they do have big grey boxes on the side of the road, always signposted so you're blind if you miss the signage, they stand 5' tall and 3'x2' and always work!! You and others have been warned. The police however do not go out of their way to hunt motorcyclists down, in fact they do like to chase after speeding car drivers who usually turn out to be immigrants from ex Yugoslavia and have no licence or insurance. So for the ske of my own safety I support their actions. Ride professionally and look for the signs and you'll not be bothered.

Monty
The Austrians are very very keen re speeding, and now almost every village in every remote valley has some form of radar or a local plod keen to raise income for his or her village - so be warned all. For us lot with swiss number plates should we get caught in Austrian and we are doing over 30kph above the set limit, then we have to walk home. Yes they impound our transport. You have to arrange for someone else to collect it. You're licence is taken off ya and a ban is automatic. It's a reciprocal agreement and applies in Italy and Germany too. There is talk that the French will join the scheme. For me the good thing is that when I'm riding in the UK I do not have to worry about Gatso's - no such agreement exists between UK and CH
Old 10-Jun-2004, 15:05
500SD

Mugello

Steve Parrish proudly displays his speeding fine.
Old 10-Jun-2004, 18:01
500SD

Just what the doctor ordered

The Belgian driver of this tanker was a bit bemused when 9 bikers approached him and asked for a photo.

As they say, "A F**k a day keeps the doctor away."