Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:06

1098R vs 1198sp Which is more suited to racing?

Happy New Year!

Both are still available new which is a good starting point for me.

I'll be keeping the bike fairly stock, just sorting the suspension, changing the exhaust and the fuelling. Just the basics necessary for racing really.

They both seem similar on chassis spec and I think also with the electronics, though I think the 1098R has higher spec engine internals?

I've read that the 1098R is a bit of a monster in the lower gears, the 1198 having a more progressive and user friendly power delivery. This is an important factor when coming out of slower corners on our tight and twisty tracks, like Oliver's Mount and Cadwell Park.

Both have slipper clutches, but are they good enough for racing?

Same question about the OE quickshifter, any good? I used an HM quickshifter on my 749 Thunderbike and it was rubbish!

Are the crank cases stronger on the 1198? I've heard that these can crack? Though over revving has been blamed for this, so I've been told.

The 1098R has Termi's already, is it a full system and is it the one to have?

Any other things I should consider?

Thanks!!

Lister #29
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:23
MotoGP God

Mood: Its ONLY a Bike Club
Hi Mark - Happy New Year to you
Both a bit modern for me maybe worth talking to Martin at Ducati Glasgow and Mark at BSD among others. Matt Larrett has just sold his 1098R he never raced it but he did Trackday it a few times.

As for broken engines maybe not so much over reving but those fitting programable ECUs like the Nemesis have to watch how much Advance is programmed in at closed throttle and High Revs, the area used when blipping the throttle on down changes, this has a tendancy to break engines

Checkout the Desmo Due Paddock on Facebook
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:32
Mille

1098R is a race bike with adjustable head angle and a close ratio gearbox. I have heard that the early 1098R's had gearbox problems due to the torque although I believe this has been sorted.

The termi system is the 70mm full system so should be just right for racing.

Not certain of this on the 1098R but previous R versions always seem to have had better frames more suited for racing.

What was wrong with the HM shifter?
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:36
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
I only know one rider of an SP and he does nothing but moan about the QS

R all the way I'd say

Alan Knight I think races one, may be worth dropping him a line on facebook
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidlids
Hi Mark - Happy New Year to you
Both a bit modern for me maybe worth talking to Martin at Ducati Glasgow and Mark at BSD among others. Matt Larrett has just sold his 1098R he never raced it but he did Trackday it a few times.

As for broken engines maybe not so much over reving but those fitting programable ECUs like the Nemesis have to watch how much Advance is programmed in at closed throttle and High Revs, the area used when blipping the throttle on down changes, this has a tendancy to break engines

Hi Kev,

Interesting about the programable ECU's, I'll be sure to raise that point with whoever sets the bike up.

I'll give Martin a call on Monday.

Cheers
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbrown
1098R is a race bike with adjustable head angle and a close ratio gearbox. I have heard that the early 1098R's had gearbox problems due to the torque although I believe this has been sorted.

The termi system is the 70mm full system so should be just right for racing.

Not certain of this on the 1098R but previous R versions always seem to have had better frames more suited for racing.

What was wrong with the HM shifter?

Thanks for that.

I've read that the 1198s has the same gearbox as the 1098R, so presumably the SP has too?

The HM shifter was a very poor fit on the splines, requiring frequent adjustments because it kept coming loose. I couldn't get a clean shift between 2nd and 3rd gear either, despite playing around with cut out times. I stopped using it for fear of wrecking the gearbox.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradders
I only know one rider of an SP and he does nothing but moan about the QS

R all the way I'd say

Alan Knight I think races one, may be worth dropping him a line on facebook

I'll do that, thanks.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 00:58
Big Twin

I rode the ex BSB Italsport 1198 last year at Oulton, scared the **** out of me. No relevance but happy new year mate. Hope to bump into you and Bea this year.
Old 08-Jan-2012, 01:08

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunlop0_1
I rode the ex BSB Italsport 1198 last year at Oulton, scared the **** out of me. No relevance but happy new year mate. Hope to bump into you and Bea this year.

Hey mate, no doubt we will at some point!
Old 08-Jan-2012, 19:20
500SD
Bikes: 899

Mood: Optomistic
Yes I'm the one that moans about the QS on the 1198sp still not sorted yet but I would say unless it could be it is no use for racing as it misses too many gears. I think some 1098r engines were more trick than others, think the 2008 ones had titanium conrods.