Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 12-Jan-2005, 19:10
Big Twin

Hi OYB man

As i bought my previous bike from OYB i continued to use them for the servicing, and I guess it appeared as though the place was becoming a victim of its own success. To be honest my story is quite a complicated one, and to be fair it was also related to the sales department in part...but to cut a long story short, it nearly ended up costing me over £1000 before they relented and we reached a compromise

Weeks to book the bike in (I recall the waiting list being about 6-7 weeks at one point), even longer for parts to be delivered (only for them to be the wrong parts). Phones not answered, calls not returned (on many occasions)

Because the place seemed so busy, I always got the impression that the bikes were being rushed through the workshop. The only reason I kept gong back was because of the old service manager (John Sirrett) genuinely did seem to give a ****, and tried everything in his power to sort out problems. Once he left...the place just seemed to become 'manic' and out of control for a while. The number of times I stood in the small service reception (as it used to be) for sometime (10-15minutes) before someone actually asked me what I wanted, as I witnessed mechanics/staff trying to find bike keys or alarm fobs or job cards as no one seemed to now here they were...just seemed unorganised, and not the kind of place I wanted to leave my pride and joy anymore!!!

I just came away from the place feeling that as the customer...I really wasn't that important. You only have to compare the kind of customer care/service you get from some of the smaller independent service centers around to see the difference.

I have no axe to grind here...just stating facts...you did ask. I know of others who have bought numerous bikes from OYB and have them all serviced there with no problem at all. Its a shame, as OYB is ideal for me just 30 mins up the road...but for an extra 30 mins drive I have numerous other dealers/indepenents to choose from.

Just my opinion
Old 12-Jan-2005, 19:12

Thanks guys.

We will always be here from now on to answer your questions regarding our service and any other issues regarding our business.
Old 12-Jan-2005, 19:36
BSB Star

Mood: the rain in spain falls mainly on me!
nothing specific to say on the issues other than i thinks its good of OYB to respond here and get the views first hand.

if service is improved, we all win.
Old 12-Jan-2005, 20:58
500SD

Mood: Blooo Duke gets red heads
Im also pleased to see Dealer feedback here. Im sure that OYB and many others do realise that its our hard earned dosh that they want to get, and to do that they have to prove their worth.

As this has become a slightly OYB biassed thread, Id like to ask our members and viewers of the board............

Who has had good experience of OYB, and give an example of why it was good..........

Lets keep the negative stuff away, Im sure other threads will develop or someone more tekky than me on the board could set up a poll, maybe of not just OYB but of the dozen or so main dealers/servicing outlets, whether national, Ducati backed or independants. (Im aware of the feedback system we have, but not sure how many use it and whether its updated regularly)

Im sure most of you are aware that I use an independant, cos I get excellent service, when he said it would happen, no financial surprises and good all round customer satisfaction and support.

Over to you lot
rgds
mort
Old 12-Jan-2005, 21:22
Ducati Corse

We already have a dealer feedback area dont we?
Old 12-Jan-2005, 21:57

Quote:
Originally posted by Harv748
Hi OYB man

As i bought my previous bike from OYB i continued to use them for the servicing, and I guess it appeared as though the place was becoming a victim of its own success. To be honest my story is quite a complicated one, and to be fair it was also related to the sales department in part...but to cut a long story short, it nearly ended up costing me over £1000 before they relented and we reached a compromise

Weeks to book the bike in (I recall the waiting list being about 6-7 weeks at one point), even longer for parts to be delivered (only for them to be the wrong parts). Phones not answered, calls not returned (on many occasions)

Because the place seemed so busy, I always got the impression that the bikes were being rushed through the workshop. The only reason I kept gong back was because of the old service manager (John Sirrett) genuinely did seem to give a <b>[Censored]</b> , and tried everything in his power to sort out problems. Once he left...the place just seemed to become 'manic' and out of control for a while. The number of times I stood in the small service reception (as it used to be) for sometime (10-15minutes) before someone actually asked me what I wanted, as I witnessed mechanics/staff trying to find bike keys or alarm fobs or job cards as no one seemed to now here they were...just seemed unorganised, and not the kind of place I wanted to leave my pride and joy anymore!!!

I just came away from the place feeling that as the customer...I really wasn't that important. You only have to compare the kind of customer care/service you get from some of the smaller independent service centers around to see the difference.

I have no axe to grind here...just stating facts...you did ask. I know of others who have bought numerous bikes from OYB and have them all serviced there with no problem at all. Its a shame, as OYB is ideal for me just 30 mins up the road...but for an extra 30 mins drive I have numerous other dealers/indepenents to choose from.

Just my opinion

Harv,

in response to your points, i'd like to say that the most important thing is that we have moved on, a lot, from those days.
We were very short staffed at that time and have since expanded considerably to address exactly the concerns that you express.
We have an entirely new, bigger, better equipped workshop with more technicians. We have more staff and a vastly improved service reception.
For much of the period that you mention, we only had one member of staff dealing with customers full time, this included parts work as well. You can imagine the problems...
This is happily all now ancient history.

Except the busy part. In the height of summer last year, we were still looking at a 6 week lead time, but not due to our previous problems, but as a victim of our own success, as you have said. We are currently recruiting new technicians to help us improve our levels of service even further this coming summer.

The above aims to address your particular concerns only. I do not intend this to be in any way an "advert" for OYB. I hope that your own experiences will do that.
Old 13-Jan-2005, 00:06
Big Twin

Another recommendation for MotoRapido in Winchester. Mines in next week for service, topend upgrade and some other special bits (SPS Cams & Pistons).

www.motorapido.co.uk

Click on servicing for prices and details. Like Nelly at Cornerspeed and Alan at AJ Racing, Steve and Wilf at MR are more than happy to spend time talking about what you need over what they want to sell.
Old 13-Jan-2005, 00:09
Mille

Mood: yes mistress
service

I would highly recomend Rich Llewillin in Bristol, He does a great job. Last time I needed something doing he came in and did it on a Saturday, just for me.
He serviced my bike last, after it felt like a new bike, he also set the suspention up for me. I was going to get rid of the bike and go for something jap but after his set-up it change my mind.

I got my bike from OYB a 1999 748 which I have had 2 years now. Six months after buying the bike I wanted to do a mid service oil change, so I phoned OYB to see if they could send me some of the ally washers on the sump. But they told me that it would be to much paper work to raise just for a few washers, I told them that I had just spent £5500 with them 6 months ago and they didnt want to know.
Old 13-Jan-2005, 01:48
Big Twin

My response was a direct answer to the question asked by OYBMan.

It appeared to me that he wanted some feedback so I gave him some.

I appreciate his response, and its good (as many others have stated) that OYB appear to be willing to listen to customers, and from his reply, acknowledge that thay have perhaps been a little lacking in the past and have now have serious aims to improve. Of course this is good news to everyone.

I wish them all the best and if in a few years time I'm still riding Dukes and I (the paying customer with choices) feel their standards and perhaps more importantly their overall ethic has improved, I would be more than happy to consider using them again.
Old 13-Jan-2005, 02:03
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: st2......we can rebuild
i changed me clutch day before new years eve and snapped one of the spring bolts(bugger)
cornerspeed sorted it on new years eve(next day as his first job) plus a good chat and a couple of coffee's
thought my clutch slave was leaking an all wanted it replaceing, neil started to do it for me stopped told me there was nothing wrong with the original
was home by 11.30a.m and its a good 80 mile away.
thats what i call a service
you can only go on reputation and its up to us to help each other out
there are horrer stories of nearly every dealer ship floating about out there but i believe there aint no smoke without fire.
a good recomendation is worth more than the cost of the service.