Ducati Sporting Club UK
New User Introductions
A chance for new users to introduce themselves, tell us of their bikes, rides and aspirations and buy a drink at the virtual bar!

Old 11-Sep-2014, 20:33

Hoping I haven't made a mistake

Hi all. Just bought my first Ducati after 12 years of riding one litre V twins. A 03 749s now sits in the space that was previously occupied by my 02 RSV Millie. I haven't ridden it properly yet ( roll on the weekend ) but I did nail it around the block when it was delivered. I must say I was totally underwhelmed. It felt very underpowered unless revved unmercifully and the front brakes were spongy and lacked feel. It would stop if you pulled the leaver back to the bar but I am used to braking with two fingers .

It did however feel well set up and it was sharp and lively in the handling department.

I am hoping that I haven't made a mistake
Old 11-Sep-2014, 21:22
Ducati Corse

Why did you go for the 749 and not the 999 if you don't mind me asking? You are not comparing like for like. You would feel the same if you had gone for any Japanese 600 rather than a 1000.
Old 12-Sep-2014, 08:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper
Why did you go for the 749 and not the 999 if you don't mind me asking? You are not comparing like for like. You would feel the same if you had gone for any Japanese 600 rather than a 1000.
That's a really good question Jasper and the answer is I am not really sure. I made the change from jap twins (TL's SP1 etc) about 6 years ago when I had a ride on a mates 749s at Donnington. I couldn't believe how easy it was to keep up with him on my TL and that was a full on track bike that I had built. That prompted a move to Aprillia as I couldn't afford a Ducati at the time. I was at a dealers open day last Saturday and saw a 749s in yellow with only 2k on the clock, good history and swooped it and £2400 for my 02 RSV. I just remembered the 749 as being sharper in the engine department. Like most of my bikes I will fettle it into better than new, so watch this space
Old 12-Sep-2014, 10:52
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Sounds like a few things that are easily fixed - spongy brakes probably just need a caliper clean, fresh fluid and maybe some new pads.
Yes you'll need to rev it more but it's a 750 not a litre bike! It'll be fine on the road and you'll just need to learn to ride it differently on the track.
But yellow? FFS...

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 12-Sep-2014, 19:26

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonye
Sounds like a few things that are easily fixed - spongy brakes probably just need a caliper clean, fresh fluid and maybe some new pads.
Yes you'll need to rev it more but it's a 750 not a litre bike! It'll be fine on the road and you'll just need to learn to ride it differently on the track.
But yellow? FFS...

But red ones are so common and we all know that the yellow ones are quicker :-)
Old 12-Sep-2014, 19:58

Well I rode it to work and I was overwhelmed and underwhelmed in equal measure. Firstly it stalled at every junction, so I was forced to do Grand Prix style getaways from junctions. Once it warmed up it seemed better until I costed into a roundabout in second pulled in the clutch to change down to first as the traffic had stopped blocking the exit and the engine stopped. I pulled in the clutch and thumbed the starter nothing had to stop and put me feet down, then get the thing into neutral. Thumb it again ( traffic in front disappears as traffic behind builds up ) nothing. Push it to the kerb and swear a bit. Would it start would it boat! Gave it a minute and put the cold start on a quarter, thumb it again and away it goes. Ride the rest of the way with a bit of choke on. Then I had to go home mid morning, Hardly any traffic and a nice mix of up hill twisty roads. A revelation. Razor sharp handling. Wanna change line ? No problem just will it and it happens. Wanna lean over even more ? No problem just do it. Wanna go faster ? No problem just rev it more. I think I could forgive this bike just about anything once it is out on the open road. I think with a full tank of 5* ( showing my age there) through it the motor will sweeten up too. Maybe I haven't made a mistake after all.
Old 13-Sep-2014, 12:33
Montjuic

just sounds like it needs a service and the CO2 & TPS setting up (both v simple fro a tech with the right kit) and it will be fine
Old 13-Sep-2014, 15:58
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Quote:
Originally Posted by funkatronic
just sounds like it needs a service and the CO2 & TPS setting up (both v simple fro a tech with the right kit) and it will be fine

Agree with that. Just needs a fettle and it'll be transformed.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!