Ducati Sporting Club UK
DesmoDue - General Questions and Chat
Discussions on the race series devised and supported by the DSC.

Old 09-May-2011, 17:49
Mille
Bikes: Ducati 848 and 583 dd race bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggyboy
I am planning a trip to watch the guys at Angelsey are you planning to go there?

Well was looking to go to snetterton with bradders but been told today at my new work place i wont be able to go
Old 09-May-2011, 18:41
500SD
Bikes: Class A 620ssie #71 - 853 R/RS Dry - 748sp Wet

Mood: Green with envy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolley
effectively you have been there and done it (just on a 620) and you joined in when numbers were good. Now, interest is dropping off for A.... I certainly would rather stay in B than go to a 620. However, if we went to a 696 (with an extra 30hp rather than 15hp), with a slightly higher profile, I would start looking for a bike now..... One that could also be competitive in mini twins.

Warmers or not I would be there.

That there man, Mr Ronald Jolley, speak much sense.
Old 10-May-2011, 22:26
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cranker V2
That there man, Mr Ronald Jolley, speak much sense.

the 620's are already much faster than the 583's, I don't think it could possibly be concidered safe to put them on the same track so they would need their own grid,,, what if there's still only 6 bikes? would that be the end of A's

the difference between a 583 and a 620 is much more than the figures suggest, I've ridden both and there is little comparison.
Old 10-May-2011, 22:47
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by mat2hew
the 620's are already much faster than the 583's, I don't think it could possibly be concidered safe to put them on the same track so they would need their own grid,,, what if there's still only 6 bikes? would that be the end of A's

the difference between a 583 and a 620 is much more than the figures suggest, I've ridden both and there is little comparison.

now I'm a little more confident on track, I'd love to try a fairly sorted one and see how different it really is
Old 11-May-2011, 00:09
Ducati Meccanica
Bikes: Ducati 996 1 & only Class C DD Champion and KTM LC8 950 SMR

Mood: It's not big, Its not funny, It's necessary
Just aint going to work this 696, there may be a few that can go look for one now but there will be more thats all they will be able to do , look.
Take the 848 thing with New Era and run by DSC I think sort off ?? It died a death at our level. Only when it went to BSB did it attract some numbers and then it also attracted some far faster riders than most of our A group. And yes it would totaly spoil the B race ( which is not broke ) if they were on the same grid or if you look at it another way B would spoil the 696 race half way through
Blimey it expensive enough as it is, lord knows what 848 racing is but I would expect 696 to be not far off as its not just the cost of buying the bike is it.
Personal opinion: Scrap A and just have a clasic bike series ( B ) Full grid cheap racing. If you want to better that, can afford real mans racing its move on and up to another series.

Old 13-May-2011, 01:04
MotoGP God
Bikes: 848, M620 DD bike

Mood: waiting...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
Personal opinion: Scrap A and just have a clasic bike series ( B ) Full grid cheap racing. If you want to better that, can afford real mans racing its move on and up to another series.

novel; going back to go forwards....sometimes the best ideas are the simplest
Old 13-May-2011, 21:26
Big Twin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbyte666
Just aint going to work this 696, there may be a few that can go look for one now but there will be more thats all they will be able to do , look.
Take the 848 thing with New Era and run by DSC I think sort off ?? It died a death at our level. Only when it went to BSB did it attract some numbers and then it also attracted some far faster riders than most of our A group. And yes it would totaly spoil the B race ( which is not broke ) if they were on the same grid or if you look at it another way B would spoil the 696 race half way through
Blimey it expensive enough as it is, lord knows what 848 racing is but I would expect 696 to be not far off as its not just the cost of buying the bike is it.

Surely to consider scrapping anything would be a bad thing for any series.
Getting more people to enter must be the answer.

Race 1 at Mallory has 27 finishers
11 A
16 B

Thats only 5 more B than A

So is class A that unpopular?
Old 13-May-2011, 21:26
Mille
Bikes: DD 620, 998 Matrix, 500 Pantah, Honda 350 K4, Drixton 500 Honda, Triumph 1050.

Mood: Depends on how many crashes I have!!!!!
All,

Just been reading through all the ideas and suggestions, and thought I would put my bit forward. A lot of talk is about rider moving on as well as attracting riders.
As I have said before, both myself and Andy came from Classic racing, which is very competitive but also very expensive. 35k for a Manx Norton, and then you can do 58 sec laps of Mallory if you fancy it!!!! It is a slightly different style of riding to modern bikes, but great fun and I still do it to annoy my bank manager.
The point thou, we both came to the series to enjoy close competitive racing but within a reasonable budget. We were not allowed to join Class B as we both have National Licenses, and have both won club championships, so Class A was the only option.
To race against 1 or 20 people in my opinion is immaterial, so long as you are having a close race and enjoying it, which I think those of us in Class A do.
I already have classic bikes which cost way in excess of what the 620 cost me, but the beauty is that they have all increased in price since buying them, that does'nt happen with modern stuff, so I wouldn’t want to have to buy another one.

Anyway there is my little ramble, leave as is for us in Class A, or if there was to be any change it would need to be where those of us with class A bikes could cheaply modify the bikes to be competitive against something else.

A complete change is not an option for me.

Steve.
Old 03-Jun-2011, 09:50
Big Twin
Bikes: Monster 620ie, 916Bip, Suzuki Gs500 And a Ridgeback but I have to pedal that one

Mood: Scared!
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve41
those of us with class A bikes could cheaply modify the bikes to be competitive against something else.
Steve.

I don't know, but I recon it would be cheaper to buy a 696 than to modify a 620 to be competative, unless you know how to do it all yourself and can get cheap parts.

to bring in 696's would make the current A's obsolete, I think it would be a sure way to kill off class A, most of us wouldn't bother changing, how many new riders would it attract?

does anyone know how long the 696's will be current bikes? what's the point of changing to another end of range model?

I really really wish I could suggest a realy good idea that would sort it all out.,,,,

Press ganging?
Old 03-Jun-2011, 10:29
500SD
Bikes: 803 rs race bike

Let me start by saying I am actually the type of person that DD is looking to attract. I race but not with DD and I race a 583. So I think my point of view is quite pertinant and quite valid, take it on board if you wish.

As I see it the problem you've got and it's a nice problem is DD is a one make series, so effectively you are only ever going to attract mostly Ducati enthusiasts. It's all about marketing DD and you have a very good tool at you disposal the DSC membership. Wether you chose to scrap class A for 695, 696 or even 800SS is immaterial really as it is a one make series, and your audience is limited.

I have started racing this year on a 583 in Mini Twins with W100 and also PDMCC, yes the SVs are faster but it is really my lack of skill not the bike as the 583 at the likes of Anglesey, 3Sisters & Oulton is good enough for mid pack in the right hands. The difference is Mini Twins is open to all makes, so with W100 I get 3 races for £90 or 7 races for £120; with PDMCC I get 6 races for £85. It is cheaper than DD and local.

So back to DD, the reason I didn't start in DD as a first timer it is too costly, you have too many rounds for me spread all over the country. You don't use tyre warmers (not that they matter that much) and you don't use wets; and you have a control tyre. Ok I could join in one or two rounds local to me, I could put up with no tyre warmers, but I like Power Ones and I like wets. So in a nutshell I may try some DD next seaosn I may not, but I know I will be racing with W100, PDMCC and maybe NG next season for sure and it will be on a 583 or even an 800SS.

The DD is fine as it is, but at the outset it was supposed to be a cheap way into racing and actually your not. It is cheaper for me to race with W100 and PDMCC, and simply, that is probably what puts a lot of people off - Cost.

Remember what I said at the start of my post - I am the type of person you should be looking to attract, my opinion is probably the most valid here.

Regards

Paul Lewis
#96 W100, #196 PDMCC