Ducati Sporting Club UK
General Motorcycles only
General motorcycle issues, including non-Ducati, but keep it motorcycles!

Old 24-May-2004, 15:12

Warranty Service

My 748s is in for its last warranty service today.
Generally its been fine as has the service from my dealer.

Unfortunealtley both the bezel and the glass on the temperature gauge has mysteriously cracked - Is this the sort of thing that I could reasinably expect to be replaced under warranty?

I'm also a bit disappointed with the paint finish on the crank.
My bike has never seen rain - its never been cleaned wet, yet
all the paint on the crank case is bubbling and peeling away.
Is this what I should expect on a 3 year 7000 mile example or would I have any hope in getting the dealer to look at this.

I don really want to go away withe ' they all do that'
Old 24-May-2004, 15:26
Ducati Corse

Mood: Bloo and Yellow.. and Red now ;)
Not sure about the bezel glass. I guess that's down to the discretion of the dealer and whether he wants to push it with Ducati UK?
Which side is the crankcase bubbling? It's usually the left hand side and I've found that there's usually two things causing the corrosion.
First is that one of the coolant hoses on that side has a small weep. This runs down the casing and starts it corroding. The other is that the clutch slave cylinder is leaking and the fluid eats the paint away. The only real way to solve the problem is either blast and repaint or replace.
If it's either of the latter problems, then I'd guess there coul dbe grounds for a warranty claim? Again, a lot depends on the dealer and the actual cause of the corrosion.
As to whether you should expect this?.........No. Mines done 18000miles and both cases are fine.
Old 24-May-2004, 15:51
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: www.knightroadraceteam.co.uk
corrosion - see thread on UKMOC board about 'paint peeling off'!!!

Had it with both of my monsters - 1st one within 5 months - and the 2nd bike inside 3 weeks

Both times coming off the crank cases (& also the clutch cover/rear sets & handle bars on the earlier bike) - the former not easily spotted on any 'covered up bike' - unless you remove the fairings regularly for inspection.

D(UK) are doing quite a few under warranty...

C
Old 24-May-2004, 15:57
Mille
Bikes: ST4S

Mood: Finally gotten over the 748R getting stolen thing. Actually, no i haven't !
Why would a warranty claim be down to the discretion of a dealer?
Either something is a warranty covered item or its not, surely.
Old 24-May-2004, 16:06
DSC Club Member
Big Twin

I know this is off the topic somewhat ... but still timely.

The one expensive issue that survives the standard warranty period is flaking rockers. Ducati will reluctantly pay for replacement rockers and damaged cams for out-of-warranty bikes IF they're installed by one of their dealers ... but not when installed by an independent shop.

The only way to know if you have rocker problems is to PULL THE CAMS and look, but your dealer won't do this unless you pay them an additional labor charge and instruct them to do it as part of the valve adjustment. So, my advice is to spend the money now and have them verify that there's no rocker or cam damage. It could save some arguments and expense later.

[Edited on 5-24-2004 by Shazaam!]