Ducati Sporting Club UK
Ducati Insurance - Questions and Answers!
This section allows you to ask questions about insurance directly to Ducati Insurance and receive a reply!

Old 20-Aug-2004, 11:28   #1
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Insurance method works
I thought I would share my results so far in using the 'Simon_London' method of getting insurance. I'm not sure if you have read his thread in the insurance section but it goes along the lines of filling out a word template (3 pages of information about you, your bike and your history - everything the insurance company wants to hear) and then faxing it to 50 odd insurance company's.

So I've filled it out and yesterday I faxed it to 30 odd insurance company's. My renewal quote from Carole Nash was £1038. I've now had four quotes between £710 and £725 and I know they are all using the same underwriter. Thats enough saving to pay for my track bodywork and to buy some beer

Interestingly enough, I think only around 10 company's have responded. insuremyducati is one of the ones that hasn't and I filled out their web form on Wednesday night, I'm a bit disappointed about that to be honest. I'll give them a ring this morning ... Carole Nash haven't gotten back to me either and I'm currently insured with them.

I'll keep you posted with how I go today .. it's due tomorrow so it will be decision time soon.

Old 20-Aug-2004, 17:30   #2
MotoGP God

Well ... it's nearing a close. But I have found out that a few interesting things. The 4 quotes I have that are around the same price are all from brokers using Access Underwriting (insuremyducati.co.uk) ...

I just spoke to Steve from insuremyducati and he explained how that worked - also made the comment that he had been approached by a lot of different brokers (I did fax 30 companies ..).

So this looks like the best deal so far - £710. A nice £328 saving from the Carole Nash renewal quote (who I rang this afternoon and they could only get their quote down to £850 and couldn't cover my leathers and helmet). It just goes to show that the first renewal offer is an absolute p*sstake and that you can get it down from there. Carole Nash dropped nearly £200 off their original quote after one phone call ....

I'm glad I went through it like this - it has really worked out. The process works - give it a go yourself at renewal time. I'll definitely be doing it for the car in a months time ...

[Edited on 21-8-2004 by tp-996]
Old 20-Aug-2004, 17:55   #3
Big Twin

Mood: Waiting for the change (Not the menopause)
I saved just over £250.00 in just the same way. DO IT
Old 21-Aug-2004, 14:00   #4
MotoGP God

Well, I've improved the quote ...

One thing that has annoyed me in this process is the fact that some of the quotes I received weren't accurate and didn't include specific items I'd asked to have included in the quote. Like the ability to ride other bikes with owners consent and full UK and European breakdown and recovery. The £710 quote I referred tio above didn't include that and wanted an additional £40 for it - quote is now £750 and not competitive anymore -WATCH OUT FOR THAT!

So, in the end Access (insuremyducati - Steve) didn't get my business because of wanting a higher excess (£600) and I eventually got the quote from Insurance Line down to £689 with a £500 excess which included all the extra's I asked for and the people there were nice and up front. When the quotes are close I am always going to reward good customer service. Let me also be clear here that I am referring to the brokers level of service - not Steve's, he was cool but I couldn't deal directly with him.

So, in the end I've had a £350 odd saving from my renewal. Happy with that!!! WOOHOO!!!

So now I'm off to see tyreman about some TD bodywork ... have a nice day

One last thing I forgot to mention .. Access required me to have a ground anchor installed (Sold Secure) and have the chain or a Sold Secure disc lock attached when I was commuting which Insurance Line didn't require. This is also an effective saving of £100ish from buying those items. Another cost to watch out for to make sure you are comparing apples with apples.

[Edited on 21-8-2004 by tp-996]
Old 26-Aug-2004, 19:35   #5
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
You win some you lose some We try to win as many as possible and keep as many of you guys and gals happy.

Best wishes to all
Old 26-Aug-2004, 23:12   #6
MotoGP God

Well, maybe I got carried away a bit prematurely ...

I rang Insurance Line today because their policy documentation, which arrived yesterday, excluded commuting and my exhaust, both of which I specifically mentioned in my fax requesting a quote for insurance. So far it sounds like they won't insure a bike without an exhaust with a kite mark, like Carole Nash and others will ... so they have quoted for cover other than what I have requested ...I wonder what the ombudsman would have to say!!

BUT ... I've been waiting for a call back from them since 12:30pm this afternoon ...

Steve, you are still in the running from my reckoning ...

[Edited on 26-8-2004 by tp-996]
Old 27-Aug-2004, 11:25   #7
Mille

Tony you may have faxed loads but did it include the two who advertise in Pronto? as we do get great deals from them.

www.v2ducati-insure.co.uk
www.ducatiinsurance.co.uk

SA
Old 27-Aug-2004, 11:30   #8
MotoGP God

I included Ducati Insurance - they wanted over £2k!

I'm not sure about the other one.
Old 02-Sep-2004, 13:08   #9
Bevel Head

Mood: Stressed as usual!
What's the latest? Did you get the problem with the other broker sorted out - would be interested to hear.
Old 02-Sep-2004, 13:17   #10
MotoGP God

Well .....

They left off commuting cover and the exhaust when all the paperwork came out. So I rang them and tried to sort it out and they're saying they can't cover me now. Ok, fine I though, I'll just go through it again ... they want to charge me a cancellation fee!!!!!!!!!!! I said I'm not paying a cent because they incorrectly quoted me (I have the fax I sent them as proof I asked for that cover)- he's going to ring me back today. If he still tries it on I'm going to tell him I'm going to ring the Insurance Ombudsman (there is one in the UK isn't there?) What other options do I have? As far as I'm concerned, I've gone ahead with the policy because they've quoted on the fax I sent them - that requests those specific items - and they've said they can provide that insurance at whatever price, and now they've said they can't. It's their mistake so why should I pay anything for it?

So, Laxtons were the cheapest and best alround deal after Insurance Line so I tried to ring them last night and they were closed so I'll ring them today.

I've also spoken to Motorcycle Direct and Telebikes who were going to chase up another quote for me - to try and beat Laxtons.

The saga continues....