Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 07-Feb-2005, 17:07
Big Twin

Mood: Black and grey (and a bit of red)
Porsche tried to replace the 911 with the 4 cylinder and 8 cylinder cars. They were crap and nobody bought them. So they persevered with the 911 and today it is better than ever.

Ducati tried to replace the 916/748 with the 999/749 but they were crap and nobody bought them. Wouldn't it be great if they brought the 916/748 back ?
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:33
Big Twin

Mood: happy
Steve, I bet you knew what you were going to get before you started this thread, go on admit it, go on, go on. The majority of people buy a bike because of its looks, secondly how it rides. I have a 996R, I absolutly love it, wouldnt change for anything.The 999 to me is a no go, straight away the looks killed it for me, others saw it and thought wow i want one of those. No amount of pursuasion (sp?) would change your mind. Get this one because of this, get that one because of that, just get the one YOU want. Now then, I think you should have the 998R, but who am I to sway you one way or other. as I have said your mind is already made up. Happy riding........on that 998R
Old 07-Feb-2005, 18:44
Ducati in my Blood

Mood: stiff and tired
I guess its a bit different as you are looking at more comparable prices (or maybe even 998 being more money) and higher spec.

I have debated both (749r and 998s for me though) and although I love the old shape and really haven't come to terms with the new shape yet (its growing very slowly) I think that the new bike is obviously going to have some benefits such as still in warranty, newer technology etc.

Although the final decision for me has been price if it were down to a straight decision I think I may have gone for the 749r.

But.... having said that... in your case there would be no doubt! The 998r is iconic, stunning, best performance and has soul. The 999s is a great bike I am sure but it just doesn't compare if you want to have something you truly feel passionate about!!
Old 07-Feb-2005, 20:04
Big Twin

The 916/996/998 are Iconic shapes, Show me another bike that takes up a residence in the Guggenheim. I love the cutting edge modern lines of the 999/749's these did have a hard act to follow. At the end of the day its a Ducati which is what matters.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 21:10
Big Twin

Mood: My K5 Rocks !!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by jpmercer
Here's my view...

The 916 evolved through to the 998R, and yes it's an iconic bike and will be remembered forever, but sooner or later as with everything you hit the end of it's development, and it's time to do something new, and the 999 is it, like it or lump it, it's here to say, and then that will be replaced by the road going GP bike, we all know that will happen, and again that will be a revolution not evolution.

The 999 has done exactly like it's predessor and won 2 consecutive WSB titles, so that must speak for itself, you could have a whole host or arguements about that too.

You need to ask yourself what you want the bike for, the 998R is the ultimate within that range, as good as it gets (for a road bike), or do you get the 999S, probably better that the 998R, but doesn't have that iconic desirability

Well said Freak.....come on you lot...get with it its 2005 not 1985

Not saying the old one was a bad bike...But sometimes you just need to move on and have a change.

Old 07-Feb-2005, 21:23
Mille

Mood: ok
999s without doubt the best bike iv'e owned.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 21:56
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: Had 748,749, 848 and now a 1199 Panigale

Mood: Living the dream.
The 999 is not that bad, it’s just new and it’s got a lot to bet. I think it is like the new BMW’s, at the start most people tort what the f*+k, but now the look is growing on people.
The same with the 999 it hard to bet something so good and sexy, but it is a better bike. Ducati made bike for so long, there must be a reason for the change, just trust Mr ducati he did make the old shape and he’s bikes are the best.
Im sticking with my 748 for now. I call it taking my time to save up for the new one.
Old 07-Feb-2005, 23:37
Big Twin

Mood: renegade sexy racer
Why you should buy the 998r

1/ because when you open your garage your bike will not have to grow on you or anyone else

2/ because it was missing off the Ducati stand this year and so were most of the punters

3/ because the japs are coming this year and Franky coming with them.
(He’s an old git who didn’t win but he still cries when he duz)

4/ because it’s the work of a design genius employed by the Ducati factory
(You can see his latest work at MV)
5/ because every sports bike on the market has become a poor imitation of the original 916 design

6/ because Ducati may have to kick-start sales high’s of the nineties with changes of design to create a bike that evokes the shear joy of opening the garage door and seeing your one.

7/ because you don’t have to change with the times, you can ride the times that you liked

8/ because if you need more riding equipment than the 998r you need a sponsor

Old 07-Feb-2005, 23:49
DSC Club Member
Mille
Bikes: Had 748,749, 848 and now a 1199 Panigale

Mood: Living the dream.
thats good. Real good . I love it ok ok you got a good point.
Old 08-Feb-2005, 00:29
MotoGP God

Mood: 749 racebike MGP
Quote:
Originally posted by simonducati
... but now the look is growing on people...

You mean like a fungus?