Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 05-Nov-2006, 20:36   #1
Montjuic

strada winter jobs
hi guys the winter project goes on.
i am on the look out for some bits can ony one recoment a good ducati breakers??
first on the list is the clutch side clip on or can any one recomend a good new set to use.
second , side stand / the actual sidestand looks ok but the alloy part it is conected to is damaged and allows the stand to go to far forward so the bike leans over to far.
stripped the fairings off on the weekend and no real problems will probilly fit new rubber bolt when it gets painted but sofar it is looking good.
gave the bike a good clean and even got it to start after washing it down!!!
the last owner had painted the front cyl head wit a grey paint so that will have to go dose any body have any tips for trying to clean up the alloy on the engine ( dremill drill and hard work)

it is strange how small your garage gets when you start these projects!!!!!
Old 06-Nov-2006, 00:03   #2
500SD

Mood: need a bike...
B&D with a few wire brush attachments - enjoy !!
Old 06-Nov-2006, 21:13   #3
Mille

Talking
Hi mate
I too have a Strada with paint flaking off all over the engine due to the bike having been stood for years in a damp barn. The bike has been stripped to bare frame and rebuilt. The only thing I didn't do last winter is the engine, as I needed the bike ready for a trip to the Nurburgring last June. So I'm not reallt sure the best way to go. It would be easy to do if the engine was stripped but I dont want to do that as the mileage is so low and theres no point really.
The only thing I think I can do is strip all the ancilliaries off, wire brush the worst of the flaky paint off and then use a Dremel (or similar) with a wire brush attachment, or maybe Nitromors. The paint stripper route maybe better as your less likely to damage the surface,and its quick.

As far as repainting is concerned, a small compressor and a small paint gun or airbrush would be OK with some careful masking. My engine is in various different shades of silver and grey at the moment but later engines seem to be mostly the same colour. Depends how far you want to go for originality.

I would say that as I havent done any of this yet, dont blame me if it all goes tits up.............!!

Good luck
Let me know how it goes

Cheers
Andy
Old 06-Nov-2006, 21:31   #4
Montjuic

cheers guys i think i will go for the dremill and take some time over it, i have worked on worse. i remember a old frend of mine who had a autogear box shop and he had a steam bath/washer that he used on the old boxes and they came up like new but this would meen a full strip and then you always find things to replace, whats the point it is not ment to be a show piece thats why i bought a strada.
any body have news on clip ons and the side stand bits
think i will phone some breakers in MCN for starters
can anybody post a picture of the bracket that secures the faring at the side stand the hole is in the faring but no bracket and i am not sure how it should be secured
cheers
Old 06-Nov-2006, 22:04   #5
500SD

The fairing hole thats visible by the side stand,doesnt have a fixing.Alternative clip ons are available from Baines,designed for their Imola project but pretty much identical pattern to standard 888,polished alloy as a bonus.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sale 008.jpg (90.0 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by aka.eric : 06-Nov-2006 at 22:14.
Old 06-Nov-2006, 23:08   #6
500SD

Graham - the hole in the lower fairing near the sidestand should have a black plastic blanking plug in it. (..and as Eric says, the fairing's not attached to anything at this point).
Old 07-Nov-2006, 09:42   #7
Montjuic

thanks for the info.
another question / how far thro the top yokes should the front shocks be thro my ones are flush but from all the pictures they should be dropped down ,is there a workshope mannual avalible?
Old 07-Nov-2006, 11:50   #8
Ducati Meccanica

Mood: I'm so happyyyyyyyyyyyy
I have bought and fitted a standard ducati panel mount for mine LHS faring lower.

Rgds,

Rob
Old 07-Nov-2006, 13:01   #9
DSC Club Member
BSB Star

Mood: MT Meglomaniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by graham
thanks for the info.
another question / how far thro the top yokes should the front shocks be thro my ones are flush but from all the pictures they should be dropped down ,is there a workshope mannual avalible?

Mine are flush. The only reason to drop the front end a little (ie: have the top of the forks raised above the yokes) is if you really can't get on with the speed that the bike steers

There are three routes that you can go to speed up the steering, either raise the back end, lower the front end or a bit of both.

Most people suggest raising the back end first and there are adaptors that you can fit to each leg of the rear suspension hoop to raise the ride height. They come up regularly on eBay and I'm sure that you would track them down by doing a search on this forum.

You may want to lower the front instead of raising the back. The downside is that you will lose the same amount of ground clearance that you drop the forks by and if you overdo it, there's a chance that you will use up all the clearance between the wheel and the radiator under full compression of the suspension. As always, it's a compromise but I have seen and ridden bikes with the front end dropped by 10mm that have no problems at all with clearance.

As I say, you could do both, but again it's a compromise between quick steering and the bike getting a little flighty.

The Patent Jools Mood Meter -Today I am:

___________^
Old 07-Nov-2006, 17:43   #10
500SD

Mine are 17.5mm.Not had any clearance problems..yet.Factory manual (which come up on ebay) doesnt give a figure that I can find,only spring preload i.e top of large hex to top of small hex - 10-25mm factory setting 18mm.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 888 forks 001.jpg (34.5 KB, 18 views)