Ducati Sporting Club UK

Old 08-Oct-2012, 17:23
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Location should be in the owners handbook - get one online if you don't have the printed copy that came with the bike!
http://ducati.com/services/maintenance/index.do

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 08-Oct-2012, 17:35
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Hi Steve,

The pump relay is immediately to the right of the regulator/rectifier when viewed from the back of the bike. It has gone again twice since I last posted about this and was informed by my dealer that there may heve been a batch of faulty relays sold. Not certain if this is correct or the usual dealer bull.

Since then I have flipped the reg/rec under the rear of the inner mudguard. I had a suspicion the relay may have been overheating from being to close to it. Since I have done this I have had no futher probs. Don't know if this is because I have got a good relay at last or it not longer gets cooked by the reg/rect heat.

Anyway I still always carry a spare relay in a zip bag cable tied next to the relay and it can't hurt to actually get a reg/rect where it can get some cooling from the passing breeze insted of the stupid original position fully enclosed under the seat.

If you want to flip the reg/rec it quite easy. Remove the relay mounting bolts and drill down the holes through the inner mudguard and tap the threads straight through. They are only brass inserts so the jobs easy. Loosen the seat base and the relay will thread through the gap at the front with a bit of a squeeze. Refit the reg/rect underneath with longer bolts with spacers to keep the reg/rec from touching the inner mudguard and thats that.

General point - As a matter of interest my dealer said DDS would not pick up this fault and no resets are needed for fuel pump relay failure.

Hope that helps.
Mike
Old 09-Oct-2012, 00:51
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

Thanks Mike and Antony,

I thought that might be it (nowt in my owners manual and the wiring diagram in the online parts manual didn't give me much idea). I've only just replaced the rectifier with Antony's help. I was thinking about getting one of those cooler running Mosfet rectifiers if it goes again but puting the existing one in a cooler location is a good idea, likewise carrying a spare. I saw some pics of a paul Smart with a melted plastic tray online - not good!

Fingers crossed its the relay and I'll be up and running again. Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Steve
Old 09-Oct-2012, 11:35
Administrator
Webteam
MotoGP God
Bikes: 748S, HM1100S, V4SP, Was: DD-A #111

Mood: Passion Killer
Yes, I also think moving the reg/rec will help it to keep cool and avoid a lot of related issues or repeat failure in the future.

The relays should be an easy fix. They do fail, as they are no more than a mechanical switch that wears out over time. Simply get a replacement and chuck the old one away - treat them as a service item! Carrying a spare is always a good idea as well.

I'd rather die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather,
than screaming in terror like his passengers.- Jim Harkins

Ducati 748S | Ducati Hypermotard 1100S | Ducati Panigale V4 SP #876 | 600-620SS DesmoDue Racebike #111 <-- Sold!!
Old 09-Oct-2012, 11:50
Bevel Head

Mood: Neutral - but only maybe. 1994 Duc 916S1, 2006 Duc Sportclassic 1000 Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve E
Thanks Mike and Antony,

I thought that might be it (nowt in my owners manual and the wiring diagram in the online parts manual didn't give me much idea). I've only just replaced the rectifier with Antony's help. I was thinking about getting one of those cooler running Mosfet rectifiers if it goes again but puting the existing one in a cooler location is a good idea, likewise carrying a spare. I saw some pics of a paul Smart with a melted plastic tray online - not good!

Fingers crossed its the relay and I'll be up and running again. Thanks for your help - much appreciated.

Steve
I wouldn't bother changing the reg/rec unless the original fails. Much better, and cheaper, to get the stock one cooling properly by moving under the tray which will reduce the chance of it failing.
Old 10-Oct-2012, 18:47
DSC Club Rep
Montjuic

I changed the fuel pump relay next to the regulator/rectifier but no luck. I will see if I can locate the other relays in case one of them has failed.